This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

How to migrate custom skins to Q1 2009 ?

6 Answers 60 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Alex
Top achievements
Rank 1
Alex asked on 22 Jul 2009, 04:02 PM
We are using 2008.3.1125.35 build with plenty of custom skins.

Q1 2009 brakes almost all of our custom skins. I followed several threads (like http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/general-discussions/q1-skins.aspx) and looked at all the sticky threads about skins that you posted. I still do not see the answer on

1. How I can automatically convert my current skins to Q1 2009 skins?
2. If there is no way to convert automatically - can we pay for couple hours of your time, so you do the conversion?
3. Where is the guarantee that this disaster does not happen again?

Alexander

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Pavlina
Telerik team
answered on 22 Jul 2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Alex,

Please have in mind that only the default skins coming from Telerik will be included as resources in the assembly. All custom skins will need to be added as external with EnableEmbeddedSkins=false and register the skins manually.

Greetings,
Pavlina
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Alex
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Jul 2009, 05:17 PM
>>Please have in mind that only the default skins coming from Telerik will be included as resources in the assembly.
>>All custom skins will need to be added as external with EnableEmbeddedSkins=false and register the skins manually.

Yes, we know that, we have been using custom skins for a long time :)

The problem is that in Q1 2009 you changed the skins CSS structure completely, so even properly registered skins from 2008 look totally screwed up. We spent a lot of time perfecting every pixel on these skins and we do not want to go through the pain of doing it again. But we have to migrate to 2009 to get proper JQuery and Google Chrome support.

What should we do? Do you have consultants who specialize in your controls? We need to convert custom skins to Q1 2009 and we are willing to pay for it, but we do not want to spend any of our time on it...

Alexander
Pavlina
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jul 2009, 12:31 PM
Hi Alex,

I am afraid that we do not propose a such service. Please have in mind that the migration should not be harmful with the css class naming conventions which are applicable for grids After the Q1 2009 release of RadGrid for ASP.NET AJAX.
For more information, please refer to this articles:
Changes and backward compatibility
All RadControls Q3 2008 Skins Are Now Compatible with the Q1 2009 Release

Greetings,
Pavlina
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Stephen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jul 2009, 07:14 PM
Alex
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jul 2009, 10:00 PM
Stephen,

All "embedded" 2008 skins compatible with 2009 RadControls. Not because they are truly "compatible" but because Telerik guys modified CSS on all embedded skins so they look the same as 2008.

For custom skins (or for any modification on embedded skin) you need to do conversion yourself.

Alexander
Stephen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jul 2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks this will make my upgrade from Q1 to Q2 much simplier.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Alex
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Pavlina
Telerik team
Alex
Top achievements
Rank 1