This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Getting Radspell error 500 when using MSWordProvider.

1 Answer 41 Views
Spell
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Bob
Top achievements
Rank 1
Bob asked on 21 Jan 2009, 03:19 PM
  I'm getting a 500 server error when I am using the MSWordProvider (the other providers work ok).  I have word installed correctly on the server so I don't think that is the issue.  Here is the full text of the error:

/Telerik.RadSpellCheckHandler.ashx undefined

Obeject Reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception information:
    Exception type: NullReferenceException
    Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 

Thread information: 
        Is impersonating: True
    Stack trace:    at Telerik.WebControls.WordSpellCheckProvider.CheckWord(ITextWord current, ITextWord previous)
   at Telerik.WebControls.SpellChecker.CheckText()
   at Telerik.WebControls.SpellCheckHandler.ProcessSpellCheckRequest(String text)
   at Telerik.WebControls.SpellCheckHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jan 2009, 07:07 PM
Hi Bob ,

The new RadSpell for ASP.NET AJAX control does not support MS Word spellchecking, due to interoperability problems with the MsWordAdapter.dll. The problem is already logged in our bug tracking system.

As a side note, you should be aware that MS Word spellchecking uses significant amount of server resources and if a lot of users spellcheck their documents at the same time, this could considerably slow down your server. That is why my suggestion is to choose one of the other spellcheck algorithms SpellCheckProvider="EditDistanceProvider" or SpellCheckProvider="PhoneticProvider". The PhoneticProvider is convenient for the English, German and French dictionaries.

Best Regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Tags
Spell
Asked by
Bob
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rumen
Telerik team
Share this question
or