This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Feedback

2 Answers 45 Views
ComboBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Cyril
Top achievements
Rank 1
Cyril asked on 02 Sep 2008, 08:31 AM
Hello,

Great work on your RadComboBox ! But while I was implementing and playing with it, I found some elements I'd like to submit to you, for improvment or let's just say, for what I think to be a more confortable use :

- In IsEditable mode, when I hit the space bar while auto-complete is on, it selects me the highlighted item in the list : this is quite annoying when I want to type some more.

- Would be great to dissociate the SelectionChanged event from the event where I click on an item from the popup. The SelectionChanged is more for intern use I guess.

- Default behavior is to have the DropDown opened on focus. It would be useful to have an option to set whether we want it to open on focus, or TextChanged or on both events.

These are just some ideas and suggestions I had, and that's all I got for now. Feel free to use it or not :)

Thank you.

Best regards,
Cyril Cathala

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Valeri Hristov
Telerik team
answered on 02 Sep 2008, 10:18 AM
Hello Cyril,

Thank you for your feedback! We will definitely consider it in our plans for improvement of RadComboBox for Silverlight. Regarding to your comments:
- Space in Editable mode selects the item - I agree with you, this is a problem which will be resolved in the next update of RadControls for Silverlight.
- SelectionChanged event - we are trying to follow the API and the event model of the WPF ComboBox, hence the SelectionChanged event is fired upon user click on a combo box item. I am curious about the reasons you have behind this request - why do you need another event instead of SelectionChanged?
- DropDown opening on certain actions - I agree with that. Actually, we considered adding a property for setting this behavior, but it was left for future implementation. We will consider it for the next version of the control.

I will be glad to get more feedback from you about RadComboBox and the other controls for Silverlight and WPF.

EDIT: Your points have been updated!

Regards,
Valeri Hristov (Silverlight Team)
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Cyril
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Sep 2008, 10:54 AM
Oh, my bad, sorry, I didn't get it was actually based on the WPF model. I am still quite of a beginner when it comes to WPF, I am sort of Silverlight specialized for now.

Anyway, I managed to make it work like I want by getting the AddedItems attribute from the SelectionChangedEventArgs. I did not before, so if I selected one item, then erased the text in the textbox, it raised the SelectionChanged event (but I didn't select anything, which caused my problem that is not anymore).

Thank you for your answers !

Regards,
Cyril Cathala
Tags
ComboBox
Asked by
Cyril
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Valeri Hristov
Telerik team