This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Failed to Create Designer

25 Answers 595 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
David asked on 25 Jun 2013, 02:44 AM
Since the recent Q2 2013 update I have been having problems with the Report Designer.    Under VS 2012 it seems impossible to add a web based ReportViewer control to a webpage and have the control render correctly in design mode.  It does appear to work at run-time.

I have tried various suggested remedies all which fail to address the problem.  To confirm the problem actually exists, I completely removed all Telerik products including the Control Panel.  After confirming I had no Telerik products installed in my add/remove programs I then rebooted my system.  I removed the "telerik" folder in my c::\program Files (x86) folder.  I rebooted my machine.  I then installed a fresh copy of the control panel and reinstalled a fresh copy of all products.  

I then launched VS 2012 and created a RadControls Web project using the .NET 4.0 framework.  The project is the base template provided by Telerik.  I then dragged the report viewer control onto the default.aspx page.  It failed to render.  I was forced to add the "telerik.reportviewer.axd_*" line to the "system.webserver" section (as noted in the documentation).  While this allowed the project to run it did not resolve the design time issues of the report viewer.

I compiled the project, saved everything, rebooted, and then re-launched VS 2012 and confirmed that design time rendering of the report viewer control still fails.

Given I have a "blank" system, what am I missing?  Is this a known "feature" I have not seen documented somewhere?

25 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jun 2013, 10:54 AM
Hello David,

This is a known bug that we have fixed in the latest internal build. Thus our suggestion is download and install the latest Telerik Reporting internal build.

Please excuse us for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Peter
Telerik

Have you tried the new visualization options in Telerik Reporting Q1 2013? You can get them from your account.

Berta
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Jul 2013, 09:44 PM
excuse me, this entry is in spanish

Berta
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Jul 2013, 09:46 PM
Hi.

i have the same problem in visual studio 2010, today (July 03 de 2013) update my telerik to Q2 2013, in rad asp controls and reporting control, and in desing time not work a simple report viewer, but in Q1 2013 work fine. 

I have changed many things and I can not solve the problem.
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 05 Jul 2013, 07:32 AM
Hello,

Have you tried the latest internal build 7.1.13.621?

Regards,
Peter
Telerik

Have you tried the new visualization options in Telerik Reporting Q2 2013? You can get them from your account.

Berta
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Jul 2013, 04:44 PM
hi.

i have the release 7.1.13.621.

upload the image example, this image is in desing time
Rob
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 07 Jul 2013, 10:02 PM
I have exactly the same issue and have just found this thread after a weekend of pulling my hair out.

VS 2012 and the latest build ( same as the screen shot)

New project.. drag a report viewer onto the web page and get the error straight off. 

Windows forms version is working fine.

Just adding mine to the list and waiting for the fix :)
gc_0620
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jul 2013, 06:17 PM
The same issue here. Yesterday (07/08/2013), I downloaded  Reporting Q2 2013 via Telerik Control Panel from my Local work station. Suddenly I am getting the attached (Reporting Version 7.1.13.612 error.png) message in all my existing reports.

According to Peter's suggestions dated July 5th, try latest internal build 7.1.13.621?

Logged in to down load latest internal builds, don't see 7.1.13.621, not such version exist. The only available version's are in this attached screen file (Telerik Reporting Internal Builds Screen.png). I don't know which version is bug free.

Telerik, please do not release any versions of your products until you tested it throughly. If there any known issue, fix the bug before you release. Please try to understand, the resources of Telerik users/developers are valuable too.

Since yesterday, I spent almost 20 hours trying to figure out what went wrong with all my existing reports. I removed/reinstalled all my Telerik Products from my local machine, rebotted machine numerous times, still no luck with latest Reporting Version 7.1.13.612.

gc_0620

Devil Lopper
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jul 2013, 08:34 PM
Having same issue - downloaded & installed same version yesterday for use w VS2012.  I'm just trying to get through the hello world sample exercise!  "Lucky" for me only spent a couple hours chasing my tail over this. And besides, I'm only evaluating telerik for purchase by my employer...

gc_0620
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jul 2013, 08:44 PM

Please download this attached (reporting version 7.1.13.705) red circled. Also be advised,

1) Close all VS instances and run the above file.
2) Reboot  the machine.
3) Open VS and do Telerik Reporting->Upgrade Wizard.

Your Webform should refer to below

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default2.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default2" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=7.1.13.705, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a9d7983dfcc261be"
    Namespace="Telerik.ReportViewer.WebForms" TagPrefix="telerik" %>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<head runat="server">
    <title></title>
</head>
<body>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <div>
        <telerik:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server">
<typereportsource

typename="Reports.PreviewCallLogbyDate, Reports, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"></typereportsource>
        </telerik:ReportViewer>
    </div>
    </form>
</body>
</html>

Best regards,

gc_0620

Devil Lopper
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jul 2013, 09:14 PM
Thank you for the post!  Silly question - but where does one download 7.1.13.705?  Searched the website and poked around telerik control panel to no avail.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 09 Jul 2013, 09:20 PM
In defense of Telerik, this is the first "problem" I have had with their products.  I have found their suite of products invaluable to my developer toolkit.  My productivity has increased leaps and bounds since I discovered their vast array of "toys".

As a long time Crystal Reports user (I started with version 4.0) I can state that their Reporting engine is both light weight and effective.  I have yet to find anything I cannot accomplish using their reporting suite.  I am abandoning Crystal Reports completely enterprise wide. 
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 09 Jul 2013, 09:22 PM
I am glad to see that I was not the only person confused.  I too do not see where we can get the aforementioned new version. 
AFMR
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 09 Jul 2013, 09:45 PM
Where can I download the telrik put the Control Panel link not the modification is still not no how to get to that image that atacharon
Rob
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 09 Jul 2013, 10:57 PM
Hey Guys

I think I found the build

It's in the normal internal build location...  
http://www.telerik.com/account/your-products/internal-builds.aspx

It's just that the drop down states 612 , but I see the file is labeled. 703

(See the attached image for what I mean)

Just going to download now and try it :)

Cheers

Rob
Devil Lopper
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jul 2013, 11:17 PM
Ohhh, the normal internal build location (that makes perfect sense to someone who started working with telerik in the past 24 hours)

In any event, thank you for posting the link.  I've attached a screenshot of the page that was served after following it.  Since the page states that there are no internal builds I attempted to submit a ticket and found (suprise!) another dead end: NO support (screenshot attached as well) even though I just downloaded/installed yesterday.  Since I've already burned an entire working day now, may as well give phone support a try... (oops, no support after 5pm pst).

Maybe it's like the Seinfeld episode, for those who get the reference:  NO SOUP FOR YOU!   c/SOUP/support/ 
gc_0620
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jul 2013, 12:41 AM
Folks,

In my last e-mail I already sent the screen shot where to down load the latest Reporting internal build. You need to login to Telerik Web Site to down load latest internal build (link is Here).  Rob also sent the link.

Be advised this is a manual down load. As of writing this e-mail, latest version of Telerik Reporting version is still showing 7.1. 13.612 (Jun 12, 2013). (see attached) Do not download it instead down load latest internal build; otherwise your existing Report viewer will not work.

I just don't understand why version 7.1. 13.612 is available choice to download although Telerik admitted there is a bug in that version.

Mostly I use Telerik Rad Controls for ASP.net Ajax; love their product. But never expected that with latest version of Telerik reporting version,  Report viewer will disappear. Imagine what will happen, if after downloading latest version of Telerik Rad Controls for ASP.net Ajax suddenly can't use all my RadGrid's????

Luis, when you trying to download any Telerik Product, it will automatically download latest control panel for you (if applicable).

Best regards to all

gc_0620

Berta
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jul 2013, 01:31 PM

Thanks gc_0620, the 7.1.13.705 release to telerik reporting solve my problem.

Telerik is great framework and great support, is normal some problemas in any software.

go telerik team, more test in your release before freedom, and thank for your great work

Devil Lopper
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jul 2013, 06:19 PM
CANNOT use that link - it returns this message:

No internal builds for your products have been uploaded recently.

Alternative(s) for obtaining the fix install would be greatly appreciated!
Squall
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Jul 2013, 02:16 PM
to activate the internal build on the download page, first you have to download the official release

SN
Devil Lopper
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Jul 2013, 05:11 PM
I thought I already did that (see attached).  Is the "free trial" that I downloaded from telerik's website not considered an official release?  Sure would be helpful if someone from telerik would step up here (I've already left vmail and sent email).
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jul 2013, 06:25 PM
Hi Ron,

Please check the answer in your support ticket on the same question.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Have you tried the new visualization options in Telerik Reporting Q2 2013? You can get them from your account.

Devil Lopper
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jul 2013, 10:19 PM
Hi Stef,

Thanks for the reply, however I'm still unable to proceed.  Please see next post in my ticket thread.

Thank you
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jul 2013, 04:55 PM
Hello Ron,

We have updated the mentioned support ticket with further instructions how to proceed.

In future please use just one support channel to contact us, thus we will not split information between threads.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Hori
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Apr 2016, 05:09 AM
im using q2 2015 reports how come this happen?
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 03 May 2016, 01:12 PM
Hi Hori,

Such error can occur if the project is not upgraded, or if during the Upgrade process a report was loaded by Visual Studio (was opened in the VS Report Designer).

Please test to run again the Upgrade Wizard and then restart Visual Studio.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Veteran
Iron
Answers by
Peter
Telerik team