This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Error in designer

20 Answers 398 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1
Peter Zolja asked on 27 Dec 2007, 12:29 AM
Using VS2008 on a .NET 2.0 website project, RadMenu control on a form gives me this error at design time:

Failed to create designer 'Telerik.Web.UI.RadMenu, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.3.1218.20, Culture=neutral...'

For RadDatePicker I get this:

"Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version..."

They both work at runtime though. Telerik.Web.Design is loaded in the GAC with the same version it shows in the error. The only reference to anything Telerik in web.config is for Telerik.Charting (<add assembly="Telerik.Charting, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=D14F3DCC8E3E8763"/></assemblies>)

Any thoughts,
Thanks.

20 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Dec 2007, 01:10 AM
I had the following in GAC:

Telerik.Charting, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d14f3dcc8e3e8763, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Telerik.Web.Design, Version=2007.3.1218.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Telerik.Web.Design, Version=2007.3.1218.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4, processorArchitecture=MSIL

After adding Telerik.Web.UI and restarting VS it started to work...

Thanks Michael (https://www.telerik.com/community/forums/thread/b311D-bbdcme.aspx)

I'm blaming this on the beta; but please guys fix this so I'd stop wasting time :-)
Helen
Telerik team
answered on 27 Dec 2007, 06:06 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the report. Indeed we have such design time problems with VS 2008. Our developers manage to fix a part of the problem - VS 2008 design time under Windows XP. Unfortunately the problem still remains under Windows Vista.

If you are using Windows XP and you want to receive a hotfix which addresses the issue - please open a support ticket. The problem with Windows Vista and VS 2008 will be completely solved in the next service pack of "Prometheus" controls.

Regards,

Helen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Dec 2007, 07:56 PM
I'm actually using Windows 2003. In my case I spoke a bit too soon with the GAC solution. Yes, it fixed the design time error but then I started receiving runtime errors.

To fix this I did the following:
1. Completely uninstalled Telerik and removed anything Telerik from the GAC
2. Downloaded the manual installation package and unzipped it to some folder.
3. Added a reference to Telerik.Web.UI and (important) Telerik.Web.Design
4. Reset the toolbox and re-added the Telerik controls.

After doing this everything started working as it should; no more design-time or runtime errors. I'm not sure why registering the assemblies in the GAC would not work. I tried to manually register them just to test my theory and the errors came back. In my case there's no advantage of having the assemblies in the GAC so I'm OK with keeping them in the bin folder. I'm new to Telerik so using this approach may have other side-effects, but so far it has been working fine.

I hope this helps,
Peter.

P.S. Thanks for looking into this...
Wendelstam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Dec 2007, 11:37 AM
Hi

First of all I have to say that I am disappointed on the Q3 prometheus VS2008 support, I have received several errors (design time) both on Windows Vista (SP1 RC) and on an XP SP2, and there are still no real answers from Telerik just from a few "smart" users that I by the way would like to thank.

I have always been very fond of your control suite, alwas looks great and you have provided great support (until now?).

So when will the first SP for Q3 prometheus come that can make it usable?
And can we expect a hotfix before that?

I am sorry for the negative tone but I am truly disappointed right now.

Regards
Johan, Sweden
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 28 Dec 2007, 01:14 PM
Hello Johan,

As my colleague mentioned, the problem remains only under Windows Vista, and our devs are working on finding resolution for it as we speak. The good thing about the Prometheus suite is that we have the "Futures" suite along with it, so once we have addressed the problem, we can immediately release the fix, without having to wait for SP1. We will make sure that you are the first to have the fix, when we address it.

Once again sorry for the temporary inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Steve
the Telerik team

Wendelstam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Dec 2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks I really appreciates your quick reply, but when can I expect the fix, is it in a few days or are we talking about weeks?

I am truly exited to see the q3 release in action.

/Johan
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 28 Dec 2007, 03:41 PM
Hi Johan,

Correct us if we are wrong, but the problem under Vista is only related to the design time and the controls should function properly in runtime.
As for the fix, I just spoke with our developers and we estimate the fix to be available in the first or second week of January.

Greetings,
Steve
the Telerik team

Wendelstam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Dec 2007, 12:00 AM
Yes you are correct, it works as expected at runtime so thats good.
Okay I and probably several others are looking forward to the fix.

Thanks in advance
/Johan
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jan 2008, 08:11 AM
Hello Wendelstam,

Indeed, the design-time Prometheus problems are definitely annoying. The Q3 Service Pack expected in a weekl or two should fix those.

Please, excuse us for the temporary inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Michael
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Jan 2008, 12:43 AM
Looking forward to the service pack as well.  Windows XP/VS2008 user here.

Thanks.
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 04 Jan 2008, 07:54 AM
Hi Michael,

You will find the latest hotfix attached to my response. You should not get the designer errors in XP anymore.

The Service Pack will fix this officially.

Regards,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Michael
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Jan 2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply but unfortunately it's not working for me.

I put the contents into the Prometheus directory (backing up the originals) and tried two things:

1.) Launching the sample website and switching one of the forms over to designer.  Still gets the same "File not found" error.

2.) Created a new project and dropped a RadGrid on the designer.

I'm on Windows XP, using Visual Studio 2008.  Using the sample site, obviously targeting .NET Framework 3.5 and my second test was targeting 2.0.
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Jan 2008, 12:32 PM
And here is the exact error message in the designer I get from example #2:

RadGrid - RadGrid1System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.3.1218.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.3.1218.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' at Telerik.Web.Design.RadGridDesigner.GetDesignTimeHtml(DesignerRegionCollection regions) at System.Web.UI.Design.ControlDesigner.GetViewRendering(ControlDesigner designer)
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 04 Jan 2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Michael,

It seems I am mistaken. I just noticed we have the Bin35\Telerik.Web.UI.dll added into the GAC which resolves the problem. Please add that and let me know if that helps.

Please, excuse me for the omission.

Kind regards,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Michael
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Jan 2008, 01:36 PM
After registering both the bin and bin35 of the telerik.web.ui it now works correctly. Just to reiterate - I had to register both because I wanted to a) view the samples that target the 3.5 framework and b) use the Prometheus suite targeting 2.0.

Thank you.
Wendelstam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jan 2008, 10:20 AM
I managed to solve the design time error in vista by adding System.Web.Extensions (1.6....) from the ASP.NET Q3 release folder.
asweel as the Telerik.Web.UI (both from bin and bin35) to the GAC.

I belive that the web.config remap all calls the old System.Web.Extension to the 3.5 version but in the designer it still looks for the 1.6....

It solved the problem for me.

/Johan
Andreas N.
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 16 Jan 2008, 10:54 AM
Hi,

just a note concerning this issue under vista, vs2008 with build 1314 of the prometheus controls. It still isn't fixed.

Kind regards

Andreas
Helen
Telerik team
answered on 16 Jan 2008, 12:23 PM
Hi Andreas,

Indeed our developers didn't find an acceptable solution which will not cause other problems. We will consider changing the installer as soon as this change is extensively tested in different user scenarios.
We are sorry for the inconvenience that it might have caused you and hope that the workaround with adding Telerik.Web.UI.dll into the GAC is feasible for you in the present.

Regards,
Helen
the Telerik team

Kyle Roche
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Feb 2008, 03:55 AM
What happened to this issue? Has a fix been released yet? I added the .UI dll to the GAC and am still getting design time errors with VS2008 (.net 3.5)
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 07 Feb 2008, 12:51 PM
Hello all,

Thank you for all your feedback -- we have been working on improving the install experience under Vista as well as the design-time in Visual Studio 2008.

I am happy to let you know that we have addressed all reported issues and things are much better now. We are currently running thorough QA on the internal build and it will be available for download with the scheduled SP2 in the last week of February.

If any of you is willing to try the build even before the Service Pack release please send us a support message.

Kind regards,
Ivo
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Peter Zolja
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Peter Zolja