This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

EntityDataSource ???

4 Answers 229 Views
Report Designer (standalone)
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Darryl
Top achievements
Rank 1
Darryl asked on 22 Nov 2012, 02:08 AM
I'm trying to connect to an Entity Model using an EntityDataSource but I'm struggling to work out how to do this.

I get to the "Choose Your Data Connection" bit and I "Specify a new connection string" ...

metadata=res://*/MyDB.Model.csdl|res://*/MyDB.Model.ssdl|res://*/MyDB.Model.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string="Data Source=MyServer;Initial Catalog=MyDB;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=MyUser;Password=MyPassword;MultipleActiveResultSets=True"

Then I select "Yes, save this connection string with the following name" ...

But then the "Choose an Object Context" dialog is blank.

How does the Report Designer know where to get this? There is no mention of referencing the assembly (MyDB.Model.dll) containing the csdl, ssdl and msl files?

Please don't refer me to any of these ...
http://www.telerik.com/help/reporting/entitydatasource-wizard.html
http://www.telerik.com/help/reporting/entitydatasource-retrieving-data-from-an-entity-data-model.html
http://www.telerik.com/help/reporting/entitydatasource-connecting-to-entity-data-model.html

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 22 Nov 2012, 08:33 AM
Hi Darryl,

You have to add reference to the assembly that contains your entity model. Check out the Extending Report Designer help article that elaborated on the topic.

Regards,
Peter
the Telerik team

HAPPY WITH TELERIK REPORTING? Do you feel that it is fantastic? Or easy to use? Or better than Crystal Reports? Tell the world, and help fellow developers! Write a short review about Telerik Reporting and Telerik Report Designer in Visual Studio Gallery today!

Darryl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Nov 2012, 12:09 AM
My entity model assembly is Mvc8Data.dll which I placed in ... C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting Q3 2012\Report Designer

I've tried this ...

<Telerik.Reporting>
  <AssemblyReferences>
   <add name="Mvc8Data.dll" version="1.0.0.0" />
  </AssemblyReferences>
 </Telerik.Reporting>

Even tried adding this ...

<probing privatePath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting Q3 2012\Report Designer"/>

but still I see nothing in my "Choose and Object Context" window??

Peter
Telerik team
answered on 26 Nov 2012, 12:28 PM
Hi Darryl,

We have noticed that you have included the extension (dll) in the assembly name. However the assembly name don't include the assembly extension. Our suggestion is to remove the extension from the assembly name.

Greetings,
Peter
the Telerik team

HAPPY WITH TELERIK REPORTING? Do you feel that it is fantastic? Or easy to use? Or better than Crystal Reports? Tell the world, and help fellow developers! Write a short review about Telerik Reporting and Telerik Report Designer in Visual Studio Gallery today!

Darryl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Nov 2012, 10:49 PM
That was the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Tags
Report Designer (standalone)
Asked by
Darryl
Top achievements
Rank 1