EntityDataSource ???

5 posts, 0 answers
  1. Darryl
    Darryl avatar
    23 posts

Posted 21 Nov 2012 Link to this post

I'm trying to connect to an Entity Model using an EntityDataSource but I'm struggling to work out how to do this.

I get to the "Choose Your Data Connection" bit and I "Specify a new connection string" ...

metadata=res://*/MyDB.Model.csdl|res://*/MyDB.Model.ssdl|res://*/MyDB.Model.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string="Data Source=MyServer;Initial Catalog=MyDB;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=MyUser;Password=MyPassword;MultipleActiveResultSets=True"

Then I select "Yes, save this connection string with the following name" ...

But then the "Choose an Object Context" dialog is blank.

How does the Report Designer know where to get this? There is no mention of referencing the assembly (MyDB.Model.dll) containing the csdl, ssdl and msl files?

Please don't refer me to any of these ...
    http://www.telerik.com/help/reporting/entitydatasource-wizard.html
    http://www.telerik.com/help/reporting/entitydatasource-retrieving-data-from-an-entity-data-model.html
    http://www.telerik.com/help/reporting/entitydatasource-connecting-to-entity-data-model.html

2. Peter
    Admin
    Peter avatar
    1611 posts

Posted 22 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Hi Darryl,

You have to add reference to the assembly that contains your entity model. Check out the Extending Report Designer help article that elaborated on the topic.

Regards,
    Peter
    the Telerik team

HAPPY WITH TELERIK REPORTING? Do you feel that it is fantastic? Or easy to use? Or better than Crystal Reports? Tell the world, and help fellow developers! Write a short review about Telerik Reporting and Telerik Report Designer in Visual Studio Gallery today!

3. DevCraft banner
  4. Darryl
    Darryl avatar
    23 posts

Posted 25 Nov 2012 Link to this post

My entity model assembly is Mvc8Data.dll which I placed in ... C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting Q3 2012\Report Designer

I've tried this ...

<Telerik.Reporting>
      <AssemblyReferences>
       <add name="Mvc8Data.dll" version="1.0.0.0" />
      </AssemblyReferences>
     </Telerik.Reporting>

Even tried adding this ...

<probing privatePath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting Q3 2012\Report Designer"/>

but still I see nothing in my "Choose and Object Context" window??

5. Peter
    Admin
    Peter avatar
    1611 posts

Posted 26 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Hi Darryl,

We have noticed that you have included the extension (dll) in the assembly name. However the assembly name don't include the assembly extension. Our suggestion is to remove the extension from the assembly name.

Greetings,
    Peter
    the Telerik team

HAPPY WITH TELERIK REPORTING? Do you feel that it is fantastic? Or easy to use? Or better than Crystal Reports? Tell the world, and help fellow developers! Write a short review about Telerik Reporting and Telerik Report Designer in Visual Studio Gallery today!

6. Darryl
    Darryl avatar
    23 posts

Posted 26 Nov 2012 Link to this post

That was the problem.

Thanks for your help.
DevCraft banner