This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Emoticons for Lite RadEditor/Sharepoint 2007

6 Answers 136 Views
WebParts for SharePoint
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jann
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jann asked on 26 Feb 2008, 09:16 AM
Hi,

I just installed the Lite RadEditor on our development server and it works great. I just can't get the emoticons working.

First I tried (ID#532) Creating an emoticon dropdown in RadEditor 5.x - 7.x but the dropdown with the emoticons is not shown. The only difference I had was that I replaced
<radE:RadEditor id="RadEditor1" EnableServerSideRendering="False" Runat="server"></radE:RadEditor> 
with
<radE:RadHtmlField id="Content" FieldName="PublishingPageContent" runat="server"></radE:RadHtmlField>

Then I realised that the version for the MOSS Rad Editor is 4.5.0.0 and the manual was for 5.x-7.x and so I tried your knowledge base article (ID#306) Creating an emoticon dropdown in RadEditor v4.x  but  when I try to add the code to the defaultLayout.asp page I only get an error that inserting code blocks is not allowed in this file.

Could you tell me which one of the Knowledge Base Articles should work when I need the emoticons in the Webpart and in the Web Content Manangement Scenario (accoring to your Help Topic "Using RadEditor in Web Content Management scenario")

cheers
Jann

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jann
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Feb 2008, 10:24 AM
I just found my mistake: i placed the <tool> entry outside the <tools> :(

It almost works now (path to the image files tends to be wrong, but I am sure I can get this done).

So the correct KB article was the one for version 5.x-7.x (although the title is a little missleading when the Editor has 4.5.0.0 in the filestructure)
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 26 Feb 2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Jann,

Indeed, the name is a little bit misleading for the RadEditor MOSS users, but actually the version of RadEditor used in RadEditor Moss 4.5.0.0 is 7.3.2. You can find this information in the Release mode of RadEditor for MOSS, e.g.

Changes in version 4.50 (01/31/2007)
- FEATURE: RadEditor control updated to version 7.32.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Jann
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Feb 2008, 01:06 PM
Hello,

new day, new problem

RadEditor is running now and the emoticon dropdown is displayed. I changed the default editor in the defaultLayout.aspx file with the RadEditor and added the javascript -this works, i can see and add the emoticons to the text.

What's not working:
- I can't see the emoticon dropdown image (set with tool  name="Emoticons"
 iconurl="/PublishingImages/Emoticons/1.gif") - the Text "Emoticons" is displayed instead. Note: I use the same path for displaying a single icon in the dropdown list and I can see/select it - so this image file exists

- I can see but can't add the emoticons to the text when I use the RadEditor in Lists or the Webpart. The error message is: "Could not find the command Emoticons. Please update your command list".

I suppose this problem will be the missing script. Since I can't know in advance where the users add webparts my thought was putting the script in the master page but this didn't help. Note: I've modified ToolsFile.xml and ListToolsFile to show the emoticons.

any ideas whats going wrong?

Jann
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 05 Mar 2008, 04:32 PM
Hello Jann,

The problem with the missing image might be due to users not having permission to access the PublishingImages library in the root site. Try putting the file in the editor folder instead. For example, set iconUrl to "/_wpresources/RadEditorSharePoint/Emoticons/1.gif" and place the actual file in the \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\wpresources\RadEditorSharePoint\Emoticons\ folder.

About the second problem, I guess that the lists and web part pages are using a different version of the master page. Try adding some text in addition to the script and see if the text will show in the list and web part pages. Another workaround you can try is to put the script at the end of the following file:
\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\wpresources\RadEditorSharePoint\4.5.0.0__1f131a624888eeed\RadControls\Editor\Scripts\7_3_2\MOSSEditorTools.js. This file is loaded by the editor in all scenarios, which means that the script will load in lists and web part scenarios. Finally, remember to backup this file along with the modified editor configuration files if you decide to retract the editor solution.

Sincerely yours, Lini
the Telerik team

Jann
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Mar 2008, 12:03 PM
Hi,

to problem 1 - the missing image
Bascially it can't be permission problem because the file is in the same directory as all the others and they are visible. I tried your advice to make the image visible by placing it in your specified folder - didn't work. Note: when I go to http://myserver/"/_wpresources/RadEditorSharePoint/Emoticons/1.gif I can see the icon.

to problem 2 - inserting the emoticons
the hint with the MOSSEditorTools.js file solved my problem (partially, see next issue)

new problem 3: when I enable the RadEditor for a list on a site everything is fine as long as the column for the Rich Text Field is Enhanced Rich Text. If I try to to set the field to Rich Text I get an "unexpected error".

cheers
Jann
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 20 Mar 2008, 10:52 AM
Hello Jann,

Try viewing the source of the web page and check the location where the editor looks for the emoticons. Look for the string "1.gif" (the name of the emoticon). Alternatively, you can use a HTTP debugging proxy (e.g. Fiddler) to inspect the failed image requests and get their URLs.

The third problem is probably because you edited the ListToolsFile.xml and you have removed the "EnhancedToolbar" toolbar. When you load a basic list editor, it is trying to remove "EnhancedToolbar" and throws an exception since it cannot find it.

Regards,
Lini
the Telerik team

Tags
WebParts for SharePoint
Asked by
Jann
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jann