Embeding flash in MOSS 2007

8 posts, 1 answers
  1. Tim
    Tim avatar
    15 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 Link to this post

Hi,

I have installed the ASP.NET AJAX for MOSS 2007 5.0.0 trial. I have replacd the standard editor and everything works OK but I want to display the extended controls as only the standard set are displayed. The reason is I want to embed a FLASH file but that icon is not available.

Is this a code level or configuration level change?

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Tim
  2. George
    Admin
    George avatar
    859 posts

Hi Tim,

Please review the following help articles that describe how to achieve the desired behavior:

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    George
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center

3. Tim
    Tim avatar
    15 posts

Thanks very much for the links George and sorry for missing these in the manual. I have just read the "adding Flash" link and found this comment

SharePoint forms scenario (Lists, Wikis, Blogs, etc.)

You cannot enter Media / Flash files in such scenarios. There RadEditor does not have control over the presentation view which means that we cannot control the output when it is not in edit mode.

From this I guess I should take away that RAD Editor does NOT support inserting flash into Lists, Wikis, Blogs? Isn't the presentation view the Flash player?

Thanks a lot

Tim

4. Tim
    Tim avatar
    15 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 Link to this post

So if we can manage the output RAD Editor can manage the embedding?
  5. Tim
    Tim avatar
    15 posts

So the steps below work, with thanks to Tom and Angela http://www.tqcblog.com/archive/2007/09/23/adding-embedded-video-to-a-sharepoint-blog.aspx

So provided RAD embeds the flash file and it's not stripped as it is with the default editor, there are ways to handle presentation OK. There may even be a more elegant solution to these steps that Telerik or another reader can offer?

1) Create a new column (I named it "video") using single line or multiline text but the type must be "plain text".

2) Suggest you create a new post and enter some data first. In the newly created "video" column, I have to enter something like this (needs cleaning):

http://www.youtube.com/v/8XPQfT1pBig&hl=en></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8XPQfT1pBig&hl=en" originalAttribute="src" originalPath="http://www.youtube.com/v/8XPQfT1pBig&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

3) The "video" column does not appear on the blog post. Have to make it appear using Designer.

4) In Microsoft Designer, open the default page. The blog post is actually a list view web part. Convert this to a xslt data view. I

5)  Upon conversion, the data source will be available. Drag the "video" field into the blog post and place it whereever you want the video to appear.

6)If you look at the code where the new field is added, you should see something like:

<xsl:value-of select="@Video" />

7) Replace the above with:

<embed src="{@Video}" originalAttribute="src" originalPath="{@Video}" />

Doesn’t work? Check the syntax in step 7. and unsure it is EXECTLY the same.

Trouble is we now have a customised (unghosted) page J

6. George
    Admin
    George avatar
    859 posts

Hi Tim,

The provided solution in the blogpost is for concrete scenarios, which are not related to the editor itself. 

In general, the Telerik RadEditor is designed to replace the original MOSS's editor. You cannot enter Media/Flash files in SharePoint forms scenario (Lists, Wikis, Blogs, etc.) using RadEditor, because RadEditor does not have control over the presentation view, which means that we cannot control the output when it is not in edit mode.

Sincerely,
    George
    the Telerik team

7. Tim
    Tim avatar
    15 posts

Hi George,

I understand your point but, perhaps I did not make mine clear? The problem of flash and other multimedia in MOSS Blogs etc. is not presentation, there are many mechanisms to manage the presentation (here's another one http://www.codeproject.com/KB/sharepoint/MOSSFlashWebPart.aspx?msg=2095084#xx2095084xx ... http://communityclips.officelabs.com/video.aspx?videoid=59d4d5bd-ae38-4132-9dd1-3f2201c207b2 which I provide for illustrative purposes only), it is that the standard editor strips out the files. When I use RAD Editor it controls the content embedding and wrappers etc. so it could save the file and write the presentation wrapper, theoretically.

So here's my point - all of the current solutions to this problem that I have seen have some limitations, or are not really elegant from a user's perspective. RAD tools are REALLY nice, elegant tools for both users and developers. It would be great (as in "please add this as a feature request") if Telerik's developers could create a control for managing multimedia in WSS/MOSS to manage the complexity for the user and give the developer less to worry about. Just a thought :-)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post

All the best

Tim
  8. Answer
    George
    Admin
    George avatar
    859 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 Link to this post

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the future request.

I logged it in our DataBase and we will take it for consideration for some of the next major updates of the control.

Your points were updated.

Kind regards,
    George
    the Telerik team