Each app has the same name on the device

5 posts, 0 answers
  1. Nicola
    Nicola avatar
    15 posts
    Member since:
    Feb 2014

    Posted 13 Sep 2015 Link to this post

    Hello,

    It's from a few days that all apps compiled with AppBuilder are installed in the device (build & deploy) with the same name (eg. "Barcode Scanner") even if the properties of the project (Identifier, display name, etc.) are correct (and the project name is different...) . I tried to find this wrong value in the configuration files, but does not exist. I tried deleting the cache AppBuilder, but it still does.

    There are several users working on the same project and they all have the same problem. The remote repository is on Github 

    Where should I check?

    Many Thanks

    Best Regards

    Nicola

  2. Tina Stancheva
    Admin
    Tina Stancheva avatar
    3298 posts

    Posted 15 Sep 2015 Link to this post

    Hello Nicola,

    This might happen due to localization. For instance in Android, if you have a strings.xml resource generated and it contains a localized string for the app_name, then the localized value will be used as the name of your app when running on Android devices when applicable. Note that some plugins contain localization files in their source implementation - for instance the BarcodeScanner does - under the values-[language] folders.

    Without any further information about the issue I cannot confirm if it really is caused by localization strings. Still, please check whether your app implementation or the plugins it references define localized versions of your app name. If that doesn't help, please submit a support ticket where you can privately share more information about the case. We would need the app where the issue replicates, the type and OS version of the devices on which the app name changes as well as the language applied on these devices.

    Regards,
    Tina Stancheva
    Telerik
     

    Visit the Telerik Verified Plugins Marketplace and get the custom Cordova plugin you need, already tweaked to work seamlessly with AppBuilder.

     
  3. Nicola
    Nicola avatar
    15 posts
    Member since:
    Feb 2014

    Posted 15 Sep 2015 in reply to Tina Stancheva Link to this post

    Hello Tina,

    The problem was really due to localization ! To test it, I temporarily  removed the BarcodeScanner plugin. Thanks.

    Now, to finally resolve the issue can I create my  own string.xml file ? 

    The plugins are no longer visible in the project directory, but only in the property page, so I can't change the plugin's file​.

    Do I have to manually insert the plugin in the project and correct the file string.xml ?​

    Best Regards,

    Nicola

  4. Tina Stancheva
    Admin
    Tina Stancheva avatar
    3298 posts

    Posted 18 Sep 2015 Link to this post

    Hello Nicola,

    You should be able to override the plugin's localization values by adding a values folder under the App_Resources/Android directory in the project navigator. Then add a strings.xml file and specify a value for the app_name. This would resolve the issue even if you have the Barcode Scanner enabled in your project.

    The problem is that the Windows client of AppBuilder doesn't currently allow adding any files or folder under the App_Resurces directory. This is a known limitation of the client and we have it logged as a bug. With that said, I would recommend that you open your project in the In-Browser client and add the resources there. As the Windows and In-Browser clients are both clod-based clients, they both display the same list of projects and you can easily work on one project from either client.

    Let me know if you have any troubles with this approach or attach your project in a support ticket and I will update it for you.

    Regards,
    Tina Stancheva
    Telerik
     

    Visit the Telerik Verified Plugins Marketplace and get the custom Cordova plugin you need, already tweaked to work seamlessly with AppBuilder.

     
  5. Nicola
    Nicola avatar
    15 posts
    Member since:
    Feb 2014

    Posted 19 Sep 2015 in reply to Tina Stancheva Link to this post

    Hello Tina,

    the issue is resolved ! Thanks.

    I put the file strings.xml in the folder values, but it seemed that the system did not consider the specify value for the app_name parameter or give priority to the plugin's value, so I changed directly the android:label value in the file AndroidManifest.xml​

    Regards,

    Nicola

     

Back to Top