This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

DSW with ORM 2010 Q1. Object reference not set.

35 Answers 507 Views
Web Services
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Lee
Top achievements
Rank 1
Lee asked on 23 Mar 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm able to step through the samples on creating a class library, then a blank web project.  Then start the Data Services Wizard and get all items as expected through to Finish.  As soon as I click finish I get Object reference not sent to an instance of an object, regardless of what type of service I select.

I've re-installed DSW multiple times.  I am using Windows 7 x64 on Visual Studio 2008 sp1.
Is there incompatibilty that I am not aware of?

35 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Peter Bahaa
Telerik team
answered on 24 Mar 2010, 05:12 PM
Hello Lee Weisenberger,

The cause for this issue is that the Telerik.OpenAccess.Query.dll is now renamed to Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions.dll in the latest version of OpenAccess but the DSW still references the old assembly. We are planning to release a new version of the Data Services Wizard next week with some new exciting Silverlight features. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greetings,
Peter Bahaa
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Bill Noble
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Mar 2010, 04:15 PM
Hello

(Sadly), I am pleased that someone else is experiencing this issue.

I have been trying to get this to work for a good few days, and thought that it must be something I was doing wrong.

I  have started many applications from scratch, reinstalled Open Access and DSW many times, read ALL the documentation but still no cigar.

Will I be notified when the new wizard is put into my user area, or do I just keep checking ?

Best regards
Bill

Peter Bahaa
Telerik team
answered on 26 Mar 2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Bill Noble,

I will notify you in this thread once this issue gets solved. You can expect the new version by the end of the next week.

Greetings,
Peter Bahaa
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Seree
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 01 Apr 2010, 03:55 AM
Hi Peter,

I hope the fix is still on time, will keep checking to this thread. :)

Thanks,
Seree W.
Bill Noble
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Apr 2010, 09:53 AM
Hello Peter

Is there any update on this. ?
Thanks
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Apr 2010, 02:45 AM
SAME HERE!
Peter Bahaa
Telerik team
answered on 07 Apr 2010, 01:28 PM
Hello Juan Valenzuela,

The new version of the Data Services Wizard has just been released. You can get it from the product page:
http://www.telerik.com/products/orm/telerik-data-services-wizard.aspx

All the best,
Peter Bahaa
the Telerik team

Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Apr 2010, 06:44 PM
I installed the new version, but I still get the same error "Object reference not sent to an instance of an object" in the last step of the process.

- Juan
Peter Bahaa
Telerik team
answered on 08 Apr 2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Juan Valenzuela,

We have done numerous tests here locally and we could not reproduce the issue you have reported. Can you please confirm that the wizard was properly uninstalled before the installation of the new version? Maybe an old assembly was not uninstalled for some reason? Please try to uninstall the wizard and install the new version again after you have made sure that there aren't any old assemblies left. Do come back to us if this does not fix your problem.

Best wishes,
Peter Bahaa
the Telerik team

Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2010, 01:10 AM
I uninstalled and re-installed. Same error.

Is anybody else in this thread having the same problem or am I the only one?

Thanks

-Juan
Carlos Vega Thomas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2010, 01:17 AM
I was having the "Object reference not set" problem before the update..., but I uninstall --> install update, and now is working ok.

Carlos V
Matt.F
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2010, 01:10 PM
Hi There,

I'm afraid that I'm still getting this error in some circumstances. Everything works ok if I right click a .rlinq file and launch the wizard from there but, when I launch the wizard from the top Telerik menu and select a class library which uses forward mapping I get the "object reference not set..." error when I click next from the Discoverer Chooser step. I've tried this on both my main application and a brand new test one which contains nothing but a scope provider and a single forward mapped class, both give the same error.

Any ideas?

Matt
Peter Bahaa
Telerik team
answered on 12 Apr 2010, 04:37 PM
Hello,

@Matt.F: Please try uninstalling the wizard, and reinstalling it again.

@Juan: We already scheduled this issue to be fixed in the next build. For more information on the new features in DSW please see the documentation zipped with the release.

Greetings,
Peter Bahaa
the Telerik team

Matt.F
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2010, 04:48 PM
Hi There,

Tried this several times, also tried uninstalling wizard, removing orm, rebooting pc and then reinstalling piece by piece after validating no wizard componants remained. Still only works for the .rlinq files not the forward mapping.

Is there any way that I can get more information on this error to give to you?

Also, I noticed that the date of the setup.exe / msi in the file Telerik.OpenAccess.DSW.zip currently available for download on telerik.com is 31/03/2010, is this correct? From reading through the posts in the thread I would have expected it to be dated April rather than March.

Thanks

Matt
Matt.F
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Apr 2010, 09:50 AM
Hi again,

Sorry to be a pain but is there any further help you can give on this issue? I'm trying to persuade the people who hold the purse strings to fork out for a few licences for your software but at the moment I cant really as the openaccess / data services wizard was a bit of a deal breaker.

Thanks

Matt
Bill Noble
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Apr 2010, 01:40 PM

Hi Juan
I was having the exact same issue.
I downloaded the zip file numerous times, uninstalled the old one and reinstalled the “New” one, only to get the same error each time.

I read the documentation and forum posts etc.
I thought that I would give it one last attempt before jumping off the local bridge
J.

I had noticed that there were various links on the site, pointing to the ‘same’ zip file, and in desperation, I clicked on a link that I had not previously used, and downloaded the file.

I went through the usual uninstall, reinstall phase, but using this new zip file, and my issue disappeared.

I wonder if there had been some old version lurking somewhere.

Bill
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Apr 2010, 12:03 AM
Thank you Bill. You wouldn't happen to remember which link was the one that did it for you, would you?

I'm downloading the "official" released one from http://www.telerik.com/documents/Telerik.OpenAccess.DSW.zip

Regards

- Juan
Bill Noble
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Apr 2010, 12:21 PM
Hi Juan

Sorry, I can’t remember the exact link, although they should all be the “same” file.

Go to control panel – programs and features and check the version,  10.03.3109 is the one I have.

I uninstalled the old version via windows control panel.
Re-started the computer.
Unzipped the DSW.zip into a new folder.
Ran the setup as administrator.
Started VS2008 and created a new project.

Bill

Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Apr 2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks Bill,

I was finally able to make it work. I was having issues with all Telerik products. I uninstalled ALL of them. This was not enough. I noticed that after uninstalling, there are still many entries on the registry. I used a program called RegScanner and searched all keys and values with the word 'Telerik' on them and deleted them.

Rebooted and re-installed and that made it work.

- Juan
Bill Noble
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Apr 2010, 07:42 AM

Hi Juan

I’m pleased you got it working, and thanks for the tip about RegScanner.

Bill

DSamani
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Jun 2010, 03:38 PM
I am also getting this error in VS 2010.  I am running version 2010.1.527.1

When I attach another 2010 instance under debug it appears that VS is unable to resolve 'Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions'

Here's the tail end of the debug output in case it's useful:

'devenv.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Telerik\OpenAccess ORM\Data Services Wizard\bin\Telerik.OpenAccess.DSW.ExceptionHandling.dll'
The thread '<No Name>' (0x12a8) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in Microsoft.VisualStudio.ORDesigner.Dsl.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in Microsoft.VisualStudio.ORDesigner.Dsl.dll
'devenv.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Users\byron.blattel\Documents\Telerik\OpenAccess\Data Services Wizard\Temp\VersaSuite.Model.OA1.dll', Symbols loaded.
A first chance exception of type 'System.UnauthorizedAccessException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.UnauthorizedAccessException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.Threading.SynchronizationLockException' occurred in Microsoft.Practices.Unity.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.Threading.SynchronizationLockException' occurred in Microsoft.Practices.Unity.dll
Assembly resolution failed: Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions, Version=2010.1.527.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342
The thread '<No Name>' (0x128c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0xff8) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x1c94) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x18e0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in Telerik.OpenAccess.DSW.Providers.dll
The thread '<No Name>' (0x404) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x1a68) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Thanks,
Byron
PetarP
Telerik team
answered on 03 Jun 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi Byron Blattel,

Can you please provide us with some additional information in order to reproduce the false behavior you are observing. We tried to run the wizard on a clean installation and everything worked as expected. Can you please confirm that prior to installation you did not have any old assemblies left from previous installations?

All the best,
Petar
the Telerik team

DSamani
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Jun 2010, 06:58 PM
I ran the uninstaller from 'Programs and Features' before installing 2010.1.527.1.  I just searched my system and didn't find any older OA .dlls...
PetarP
Telerik team
answered on 07 Jun 2010, 09:17 AM
Hello Byron Blattel,

The place where you need to search is located in the assembly folder in your Windows folder installation. Usually this is C:\Windows\assembly. There you will have to search for everything Telerik.OpenAccess.* related. If you can indeed confirm that there aren't any old assemblies please install the latest version and try to use the wizard again. If you are still experiencing problems can you please provide us with additional information on how to reproduce the false behavior as everything works as expected on our side.

Best wishes,
Petar
the Telerik team

DSamani
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Jun 2010, 04:50 PM
I've completely uninstalled all Telerik products and reinstalled the latest builds of OA and RadControls for SL.

After the uninstall there were no Telerik dll's listed in C:\Windows\assembly...

I still get the error.

I've attached screenshots of the debug output and loaded modules.

If I had the .pdb for  Telerik.OpenAccess.DSW.Providers.dll I could give you more info...
PetarP
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jun 2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Byron Blattel,

can you please be more specific on the steps you performed that caused the exception? What project did you have in your solution? Did you used Northwind, AdvantureWorks or a private database? Any information on how to reproduce the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Petar
the Telerik team

DSamani
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Jun 2010, 02:19 AM
I have figured out the problem. The exception is thrown if the web project's web.config file does not have a <connectionStrings> element yet.

If you manually create a <connectionStrings> section the exception is not thrown.  FYI the offencing code is in Telerik.OpenAccess.DSW.Presenter.Presenters.FinishPresenter.SaveProject() when base2.ModifyConfigFile(...) is called.
Missing User
answered on 14 Jun 2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Byron Blattel,

Thank you for helping us to find the source of the problem. This issue is already fixed in our latest internal build.

Best wishes,
Rizk Sobhi
the Telerik team

Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jun 2010, 09:41 PM
Rizk,

Note that it's not fixed in 2010.1.610.1, which appears to be the latest internal build available to customers.  I think you're referring to an internal build that we cannot get yet.  That's not a problem, since we have the workaround, but I thought a clarification would be useful.

Jim
Missing User
answered on 21 Jun 2010, 07:40 PM
Hello James,

Actually I was referring to an internal build which is not public yet, sorry for not clarifying that. You can expect this build in a couple of days.

Best wishes,
Rizk Sobhi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Christian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jun 2010, 09:38 AM
Hi,
I ran in the same issue after installing ORM 2010 Q1 (0527). I use VS 2010 and have a class modell project and a winform project. My app.config have a <connectionStrings>-section.

Here same information from the output:

Calling: "c:\program files (x86)\telerik\openaccess orm\sdk\VEnhance.exe" -assembly:"C:\Projekte\PADUA\Kerndaten\obj\Debug\ZentraleDaten.dll" -config:"C:\Projekte\PADUA\Kerndaten\App.config" -verboseMode:1

OpenAccess: C:\Projekte\PADUA\Kerndaten\obj\Debug\ZentraleDaten.dll: Error: Could not resolve: Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions, Version=2010.1.527.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342

Telerik OpenAccess Enhancer, Version 2010.1.527.2

Copyright (C) 1996-2010 Telerik

C:\Projekte\PADUA\Kerndaten\obj\Debug\ZentraleDaten.dll: Error: Could not resolve: Telerik.OpenAccess.35.Extensions, Version=2010.1.527.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7ce17eeaf1d59342

I need a workaround, because our team project stands still.

Thanks.
Christian
Alexander
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jun 2010, 11:17 AM
Hello Christian,

Could you please try the new service pack that we released yesterday? Its version is 2010.1.624. Please let us know if it does not help.

Kind regards,
Alexander
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Christian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jun 2010, 11:38 AM
Hi,
thanks. It's fine now.
Christian.
Niall
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jul 2012, 01:46 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to generate the code to reflect changes we've made to our database.
The product is quite mature and we've been making changes recently which we've struggled to refliect via Telerik Open Access ORM because it is unbelievably unreliable and processor intensive, but until now I have been able to eventually generate the code to reflect the changes.

I've just made some very minor changes to the data model adding a new FK to a table but the DSW now gives the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when I click "save and generate".

I've uninstalled and re-installed and restarted several, times now, but the problem persists.
My colleague has tried to generate the code as well, but he gets the same error so the problem seems to be with Telerik.

Versions are 2010.1.312

Thanks, Niall...
Serge
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jul 2012, 08:54 AM
Hello Niall,

Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce the exception that you are experiencing. Is switching to a newer version of OpenAccess and making use of the new Add OpenAccess Service wizard an option? If you insinst on using the version you have though, is it possible that we get the model containing your project or just the rlinq so that we can test it locally. It is quite possible the issue is only reproducable with certain kinds of mappings. 

I am looking forward to resolving this issue. 

Kind regards,
Serge
the Telerik team
OpenAccess ORM Q2'12 Now Available! Get your hands on all the new stuff.
Tags
Web Services
Asked by
Lee
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Peter Bahaa
Telerik team
Bill Noble
Top achievements
Rank 1