This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Display Issues with a SplitButtonElement in a RadRibbonBar - 2009.1

1 Answer 47 Views
RibbonBar
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Fraser Tustian
Top achievements
Rank 1
Fraser Tustian asked on 18 Mar 2009, 05:15 AM
Greetings Telerik!

Thanks for posting the 2009v1 update. It looks like we're many steps closer towards getting my ribbon bar working as I'd hoped! There is still one issue I'm having with 2009v1, though, although there appears to be a straightforward workaround.

The common issue seems to be that if you have a RadSplitButtonElement inside a RadRibbonBarButtonGroup (as it has to be), and the SplitButtonElement's DisplayStyle property is set to either Text or TextAndImage (ie text is display, one way or another) and the ArrowPosition property is set to Bottom (all a pretty common combination), then the button displays incorrectly. The main body of the button appears to be the right width, but the arrow's width is narrower than the button proper, and any other controls in the same group overlap the button - as if the arrow's width is used for calculating the width of the control, and not the button's width (which is the correct width).

Here are steps to reproduce:

1. Create a Form and drop a RadRibbonBar onto it
  2. Add a new Tab and a Group
  3. Inside that group, add a Horizontal Button Group
  4. Within that button group, add a RadSplitButtonElement
  5. Change the ArrowPosition to Bottom
  6. Run the application

You will see the text on the button bleeding outside the edge of the group, which appears to be sized to the arrow button - which is incorrectly smaller than the button proper.

For now, there are some workarounds, to get me through (keeping ArrowPosition as Right, not using Text on the buttons or setting MinSize.Width to be greater than the button should ever need to be in order to fit its text) but I'm assuming that this may be an easy one to fix, so I thought I'd let you know... as my goal is to get flexible buttons with arrows that point down!

Alternatively, is there some basic property that I'm missing which is leading me to set this up incorrectly?

Cheers,

FRASER TUSTIAN

Libraries used:
Telerik.Common 2009.1.9.311
Telerik.WinControls 2009.1.9.311
Telerik.WinControls.UI 2009.1.9.311

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 20 Mar 2009, 12:57 PM
Hello Fraser,

Thanks for contacting us and for the detailed description of your issue. I have investigated the case and I think that this is an undesired behavior of the RadSplitButtonElement. We have already found it and fixed it, and it will be available in our next release Q1 2009 SP1. It is expected in a couple of weeks. For the time being, you can use the workaround you have found. I am sorry for the introduced inconvenience. Please do not hesitate to contact me back if you have further questions.

All the best,
Deyan
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Tags
RibbonBar
Asked by
Fraser Tustian
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Deyan
Telerik team
Share this question
or