Thank you for your interest in developing and distributing apps with the Telerik Platform.
Straight to your question, with a little bit of detail, that would hopefully make things more clear.
In short, the answer is yes - with an in-house distribution certificate and provisioning profile, your app package will not be limited to a number of devices. However, you will need to figure out how to handle the distribution and there are a number of ways to do that. The following documents cover your options:
The latter document explains the approach of setting up your own web server to deliver your private iOS apps. With this approach, you would need to obtain a wireless manifest file which to put on the web server. You can either generate it manually using the instructions here
or follow these steps to obtain it from within AppBuilder:
1. When the build completes, a QR code is produced. There is a Copy Link button below and a Download link to get the IPA. (You will have to click Download to get the IPA for your users).
2. Click Copy Link and paste the link in a text editor.
3. Get the entire last part of the URL starting with https (eg: https%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%something)
4. Run it through a URL decoder such as http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/dencoder/
5. Open the decoded URL in the browser -> this is your manifest file, just change the long URL in there to the one pointing to the IPA on your web server.
The alternative is using AppManager - the Telerik Platform offering for app distribution. Currently, the service is being expanded from providing private app stores, to letting you distribute apps via email and via web catalogs. You can read more about this here
In addition, thank you for the suggestion to expand our documentation with distribution guides. We will consider outlining the viable approaches and the required setup for each. Keep an eye out for the documentation updates.
Share what you think about AppBuilder and Telerik Platform with us in our feedback portal, so we can become even better!