Data Access broken after 7/19 SQL update

11 posts, 0 answers
  1. Bill
    Bill avatar
    4 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2008

    Posted 25 Jul Link to this post

    On 7/19 Microsoft pushed out "Microsoft SQL Server 2014 SP1 Cumulative Update (CU) 7 KB3162659". I'm running 2015 Express, and that update broke Data Access - any time I try to do an insert I get the error "Failed to retrieve the automatically incremented column value from the server". The insert does actually work, however, I checked.

    Suggestions? I'm completely down at the moment...

  2. Bill
    Bill avatar
    4 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2008

    Posted 25 Jul in reply to Bill Link to this post

    Also, this is Q1 2015 Data Access.
  3. DevCraft banner
  4. Bill
    Bill avatar
    4 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2008

    Posted 25 Jul in reply to Bill Link to this post

    Also, this is Q1 2015 Data Access.
  5. Doroteya
    Admin
    Doroteya avatar
    502 posts

    Posted 27 Jul Link to this post

    Hi Bill,

    Attached to this message is the hot fix for the version on your side and a video tutorial how to upgrade your machine.

    I hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Doroteya
    Telerik by Progress
     
    Check out the latest announcement about Telerik Data Access vNext as a powerful framework able to solve core development problems.
  6. Zdenek Plachy
    Zdenek Plachy avatar
    29 posts
    Member since:
    May 2007

    Posted 11 Nov in reply to Doroteya Link to this post

    Our working application suddenly crashed on same error today. Without any change in code application started to fail on all inserts with error: Failed to retrieve the automatically incremented column value from the server.
    Possible reason: A trigger does not perform 'select ID from inserted' as last operation.

    It is possible that MSSQL server (11.0.6248.0) on Windows Server 2012R2 got some update today.

    We are using DataAccess Runtime 2015.1.255.1 with installed hotfix as described in video tutorial. No luck. Please help!

  7. Christina Faur
    Christina Faur avatar
    5 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2009

    Posted 15 Nov in reply to Zdenek Plachy Link to this post

    Hello Zdenek,

    we have the same Problem with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP3-GDR) (KB3194721) - 11.0.6248.0 (X64)

    Do you already have a solution for this problem?

    Thanks,

    Christina
     

  8. Christina Faur
    Christina Faur avatar
    5 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2009

    Posted 15 Nov in reply to Doroteya Link to this post

    Failed to retrieve the automatically incremented column value from the server.
    Possible reason: A trigger does not perform 'select ID from inserted' as last operation.

    Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP3-GDR) (KB3194721) - 11.0.6248.0 (X64)

    Hotfix1.zip doesn't work.

    Please help,

    Christina

  9. Zdenek Plachy
    Zdenek Plachy avatar
    29 posts
    Member since:
    May 2007

    Posted 16 Nov in reply to Christina Faur Link to this post

    Hi Christina,

    we managed to make it working again somehow. Try to repat all steps in instructional video (don't forget to refresh GAC). Then PROBABLY helped server restart. Now we are back. At first attempt it didn't work then probably after that restart it is worknig.

    Anyway it's not generally good situation. I'm Telerik's paying customer for long years. I tried almost first time to send official support ticket. I got reply after two days. They told me simply that Telerik Open Access is not part of my (expensive!) DevCraft Complete license. No advice, no help.

    With all those changes with Telerik Data Access (no support, dropping designer from 2015.Q1, supporting only stupid code first approach...) I'm not sure to continue with TDA in future projects. It is or better it was best ORM but now I'm not sure.

  10. Christina Faur
    Christina Faur avatar
    5 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2009

    Posted 16 Nov in reply to Zdenek Plachy Link to this post

    Hello Zdenek,

    thank you very much for your kind answer. Then I will also retry all the steps and will restart the server.

    We are also seriously thinking to replace Telerik.OpenAccess (Classic) with EntityFramework 6 because on my opinion switching on Telerik.DataAccess with code first approach needs the same programming effort.

    Best Regards,
  11. Christina Faur
    Christina Faur avatar
    5 posts
    Member since:
    Aug 2009

    Posted 16 Nov in reply to Zdenek Plachy Link to this post

    Hello Zdenek,

    thank you very much for your kind answer. Then I will also retry all the steps and will restart the server.

    We are also seriously thinking to replace Telerik.OpenAccess (Classic) with EntityFramework 6 because on my opinion switching on Telerik.DataAccess with code first approach
    needs the same effort.

    Best Regards,
  12. Doroteya
    Admin
    Doroteya avatar
    502 posts

    Posted 16 Nov Link to this post

    Hi,

    The video attached to this thread shows how to update the Runtime assembly on your machine. After you do so, you need to:
    1. Open your solution in Visual Studio and clean it up.
    2. Rebuild your solution making sure that it is configured as described in this blog post.

    At this point you can run the application for a test and if you need to you can deploy it to the server.

    I hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Doroteya
    Telerik by Progress
     
    Check out the latest announcement about Telerik Data Access vNext as a powerful framework able to solve core development problems.
Back to Top
DevCraft banner