This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Crash of Visual Studio after installing RadControls WPF 725

7 Answers 124 Views
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Patrick asked on 28 Jul 2012, 03:26 PM
Hello,
after installing RadControls fow WPF version 725, I can no more open onr WPF project: Visual Studio crashes when loading the application.
After attaching a 2nd Visual Studio instance, I have the following exception:
Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Stack trace:
   at VSLangProj.References.Item(Object index)
   at Telerik.VSX.Internal.ProjectManagement.ApplicationProjectAssemblyReference.Retrieve(Project project, String assemblyName)
   at Telerik.VSX.Internal.ProjectManagement.ProjectWrapBase.GetAssemblyReference(String assemblyShortName)
   at Telerik.VSX.Internal.ProjectManagement.ProjectWrapUIComponentsBase.get_IsTelerikEnabled()
   at Telerik.Windows.WPF.VSX.Helpers.ProjectWrap.get_IsTelerikEnabled()
   at Telerik.VSX.ProjectListing.ProjectSearcher.<FilterTelerikProjects>b__0(IProjectWrapUIComponents p)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.FindAll(Predicate`1 match)
   at Telerik.VSX.ProjectListing.ProjectSearcher.FilterTelerikProjects(List`1 projectsList)
   at Telerik.VSX.ProjectListing.ProjectSearcher.GetTelerikEnabledProjects()
   at Telerik.Windows.WPF.VSPackage.VSPackage.<>c__DisplayClass2.<OnSolutionOpened>b__0(Object s, DoWorkEventArgs a)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.AgileAsyncWorkerItem.DoAsyncCall()
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.AgileAsyncWorkerItem.ThreadPoolCallBack(Object o)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

After removing RadControls I can again open this project.
Note that the project is an Oxygene project and that I have 3 files open when I open the project.

Patrick

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 01 Aug 2012, 03:50 PM
Hello Patrick,

Thank you for contacting us.

It looks like the error is caused by our VS Extensions. You should be able to avoid the issue and use RadControls by simply using the Visual Studio Extension Manager (Visual Studio main menu -> Tools -> Extension Manager...) to disable our VSExtensions package.

To my regret we have not tested how our VS Extensions work with Oxygene projects. It would be helpful if you could share any additional information around your setup you think might be relevant and/or send us your project.

I will perform some basic testing and post my findings in this thread.

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 04 Aug 2012, 10:04 AM
Hello Andrey,
as I need to work on the project, I had completely removed the Telerik VS extension.
I just reinstall the July 25 version and can now open the project without any error.
Perhaps the complete uninstall has solved the problem.
Patrick
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 05 Aug 2012, 06:28 AM
Hello Andrey,
I had the same problem this morning when opening a Silverlight solution. I have uninstalled the WPF Visual Studio extension and I can again open this solution. It seems that the WPF extension checks something on a Silverlight project!
Patrick
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 09 Aug 2012, 06:18 PM
Hello Patrick,

Sorry for not following up on your additional comments earlier. I am in the process of getting an environment set up, where I can test our VSExtensions' compatibility with Oxygene.

The Wpf VSExtensions are check if appropriate (wpf) projects are present each time you load a solution.

I have reviewed the code in the stack trace you sent earlier and all exceptions are handled in that specific portion of our code. Another peculiar thing is the fact the code for the stack trace you sent is used in all of our VS Extensions, whereas the issue you are experiencing is only related to the Wpf ones (looking through your download history, I am assuming you use other Telerik products as well).

I will get back to you with my findings as soon as I'm done testing with Oxygene.

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team

Petar
Telerik team
answered on 22 Aug 2012, 12:46 PM
Hello Patrick,

We have created test environment and after running some scenarios we haven't encountered any issues. Is it possible to send us your project so that we can try further to reproduce the issue on your side. You need to open a formal support ticket and attach the product as a zip for example.

Greetings,
Petar
the Telerik team

Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 14 Sep 2012, 05:01 PM
Hello Petar,
sorry for the long delay but I was very busy the last month.
With version 912, the problem is no more here.
Patrick
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 17 Sep 2012, 11:08 AM
Hello Patrick,

I am glad to hear that.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you experience any further issues.

Regards,
Andrey
the Telerik team

Time to cast your vote for Telerik! Tell DevPro Connections and Windows IT Pro why Telerik is your choice. Telerik is nominated in a total of 25 categories.

Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Answers by
Andrey
Telerik team