This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Connect my app with a external DB

4 Answers 367 Views
General Discussion
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
Javier asked on 25 Apr 2014, 12:09 AM
Hello, I created a app with the example of SQLite.The app show the datas of the our local DB .My idea is with a button control if the device has Internet connection and connect with a external DB to read it and can update the content of the DB of my app.

I was reading and look like that I can not connect directly a javascript file with the server's DB.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Javier

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 29 Apr 2014, 07:52 AM
Hi Javier,

In order to use external SQL data in a hybrid app, you need to communicate that data in a JSON format between your app and the server where the database is hosted. Basically you will need a service that reads the data from your SQL database and parses it in a JSON format so that the app can then request the data.

You can take a look at these forum threads discussing similar cases:

You might also find useful the approach being discussed in the Using ASP.NET Web API Services in Mobile Apps blog post.

On the other hand, you can also take advantage of our Backend Services to create the backend for your app in the cloud by storing data, managing users and files, and executing business logic.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik

Share what you think about AppBuilder and Telerik Platform with us in our feedback portal, so we can become even better!

JDBPocketware
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 02 May 2014, 11:27 PM
[quote]Tina Stancheva said:Hi Javier,
On the other hand, you can also take advantage of our Backend Services to create the backend for your app in the cloud by storing data, managing users and files, and executing business logic.
[/quote]

Hi Tina. Will then be any possibility of using that DB for other kind of clients? Say a reporting engine or any data maintenance tasks?
Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 05 May 2014, 01:29 PM
Hello Jandieg,

Backend Services expose a set of API for accessing the data in the Database that can be consumed by all kinds of clients. The team has created SDK wrappers for most popular platforms - Android, iOS, WP, Hybrid, but you can also call the Rest API directly from any other client.

Regards,
Nikola
Telerik

Share what you think about AppBuilder and Telerik Platform with us in our feedback portal, so we can become even better!

Javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 May 2014, 09:17 PM
Hello, thanks for answer ! Ok, finally I used JSON and other example to download files and save it in the device... This is the title of this example.

File transferThis sample application demonstrates how to download and save an image on the device via File Transfer core plugin.

I think that the backends services were the same than a server where I can save the datas 
Tags
General Discussion
Asked by
Javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
JDBPocketware
Top achievements
Rank 2