For very large databases, Telerik OpenAccess ORM offers an alternative to Visual Designer - Fluent Mapping API
. There you can define the classes and mapping in a code-only manner and use them with OpenAccess without ever touching Visual Designer.
To make things easier for you, the Create New Domain Model wizard implements "Fluent" as an option for code generation. It generates most of the necessary code automatically and at the same time you can benefit from the capabilities this API offers. Generally, it is intended to be used as onetime code generation only and its purpose is to help you with the initial effort in defining the data access layer.
To build your model using Fluent code generation, follow the next steps:
1) Add Telerik OpenAccess Library to your solution
2) Follow steps from 4 to 9 described here
3) In the Advanced Options dialogue of the wizard:
- select Fluent for mapping type
- choose Project folder - the folder where the classes will be generated
- check the Generate multiple files checkbox (optional - it depends on your personal preference for the number of the files and their length. If you check it you will have a file for every class and if you uncheck it, you will have one really long file)
4) Extract the OpenAccessContext as describe here
5) Delete the .rlinq file
: That will not reduce the initial time for generating the model but it will make it easier for you to work with it afterwards as you can make changes in the code directly.
Additionally, in the midst of February we are releasing Telerik OpenAccess ORM Q1 2013 where you can find the new Fluent Code Generation wizard that will additionally help you during that process.
If you experience any difficulties implementing this process or you have questions, do not hesitate to get back to us.
the Telerik team
Q3'12 SP1 of OpenAccess ORM packs Multi-Table Entities mapping support. Check it out.