This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

ComboBox and ListBox obsolete as of Q2 2010. Replaced by RadDropDownList and RadListControl

12 Answers 467 Views
ComboBox and ListBox (obsolete as of Q2 2010)
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Telerik Admin asked on 12 Jul 2010, 04:40 PM

RadListBox and RadComboBox controls have been replaced by two brand new controls as of Q2 2010: RadListControl and RadDropDownList. The new controls provide the extensibility options that were currently lacking in the old controls, and offer much better performance, due to the use of virtualization and a new generic data engine, developed for RadGridView.

The Benefits of the new controls

RadDropDownList replaces RadComboBox and will soon offer extended and new auto complete options.

RadListControl replaces RadListBox and offers full virtualization support. It performs far better than both RadListBox and the standard ListBox control when bound to more than 1000 items. Read more in this blog post: Blazing-fast list control. Meet RadListControl for WinForms.

Both controls are easier to use and customize, and will provide better grounds for developing new features faster.

What will happen to the old controls?

The old controls will be supported for at least one year after the release of Q2 2010. Users will nevertheless be encouraged to use the new controls since they address the fundamental shortcomings of the previous controls.

Is upgrading to the new controls easy?

Upgrading from the old to the new controls should be easy and painless, unless you have extended the previous controls with custom functionality. If this is the case, please contact Telerik support and we will help you move to the new versions. We will also provide an automatic upgrade tool with Q2 2010 SP1.

Videos and instructions on how to upgrade from the old versions to the new ones will be posted shortly.

How do I get support for the new controls?

To get technical support, either contact Telerik support or post in the DropDownList and ListControl Forum.

12 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Venkat
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Aug 2010, 04:10 PM
Hello,

Is there a way to get multiline text in the dropdownlist just like the radcombobox in the previous version? We are using the radcombobox in our project and we are testing the latest version on our project. I could not see how to do multiline text in the raddropdownlist. Please suggest me how to implement in raddropdownlist.

Thanks,
Ajay
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 25 Aug 2010, 04:39 PM
Hello,

Thanks for writing.

We exposed a TextWrap property for the RadListDataItem instances in the internal build that we have just released (v2010.2.10.825).

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Peter
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Venkat
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Aug 2010, 06:30 PM
Hello Peter,

I do not know if that is going to be of any help in this case. For the combobox there is description and descriptiontext property  and iwe were using that to show an item and its descriptive text. However i have seen one of your posts on extending the

RadListVisualItem

for radlist and extended to the dropdownlist too. I was able to produce the desired functionality, but the layout seems messed up and i can not produce the same look and feel when i was using the combobox.
Is this feature (description and descriptiontext) also included in the latest build or we can only acheive this by extending the RadListVisualItem.
Please let me know as this is the only task which is holding our release.

Thanks,
Ajay
Venkat
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Aug 2010, 10:20 PM
Hello Peter,

Also i do not see a way to apply themes to the dropdown pane(i think it is the popup) from the visual style builder. Please let me know if i am wrong. And the dropdown item does not seem to have the mouse hover theme when i customized the RadListVisualItem and added a panel. Please suggest me if this the by design or am i doing anything wrong. This one thing is holding up our release.

Thanks,
Ajay.
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 31 Aug 2010, 09:23 AM
Hi venkat,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You can continue using RadComboBox and RadListBox - we have just removed them from the Toolbox.

Regarding your experience with the theme, I've added a style for the RadListVisualItem's mouse over and it is applied - see the attached screenshot. From your screenshots I can see that only the border of RadListVisualItem is not appearing correctly. You can try to hide it programmatically.

Let me know you have further questions.

Regards,
Peter
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Venkat
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Aug 2010, 04:12 PM
Ahh.., my bad. I was looking under the raddropdownlist for the radvisuallistitem. From the image you attached i can see the radvisuallistitem under the radlistcontrol. Thanks for replying and the update. We thought of continuing the radcombobobox for now. I think this will of great help for us if we ever plan to move to raddropdownlist later.

Thanks,
Ajay.
Solai
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Dec 2010, 12:02 PM
How to Set TextWrap in RadListControl?
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 08 Dec 2010, 12:59 PM
Hello Solai,

Thank you for the writing.

You should set TextWrap property for each item and also set these properties:

radListControl.AutoSizeItems = true;
and
radListControls.FitItemsToSize = false;

I hope this helps.

Greetings,
Peter
the Telerik team
Get started with RadControls for WinForms with numerous videos and detailed documentation.
Jason Gaylord
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Feb 2011, 05:17 PM
It would have been great if the PDF that was linked from the Q3 drop and that can also be found at http://www.telerik.com/support/documentation-and-tutorials/step-by-step-tutorial-for-winforms.aspx would be updated with this in mind. It's been several months now and it's still not updated. The functionality that you supported with the RadListBox allowing the Text and TextDescription was exactly what I needed. I'm having a tough time finding the necessary demonstration for CreatingVisualListItem.
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 08:46 AM
Hello Jason,

You can find the answer to your question in the support ticket that you have opened about the same topic.

We would kindly ask you to use just one support channel to contact us. Posting the same questions more than once may slow down our response time because we will need to review and address two or more tickets instead of one. Moreover, support threads are handled according to license and time of posting, so if it is an urgent issue, we suggest that you use a support ticket, which would be handled before a forum thread.

Best wishes,
Peter
the Telerik team
Q3’10 SP1 of RadControls for WinForms is available for download; also available is the Q1'11 Roadmap for Telerik Windows Forms controls.
Jason Gaylord
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 02:24 PM
I actually forgot I posted to here. This original post was back on February 11th. Since then I tried what I sent in the support ticket. I would have thought that if my post wasn't answered in 5-6 days that it was noted, but no response was necessary.
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 02:43 PM
Hi Jason,

Thank you for the clarification.

We are always trying to provide our clients with an answer if their question/feedback is not addressed by an other forum member or Telerik MVP. Please note that the response time frame of 72 in which we usually respond to forum threads does not include the weekends. So, as I mentioned in my previous reply, should you need a quick and guaranteed response according to your license, feel free to open a new support ticket.

Greetings,
Nikolay
the Telerik team
Tags
ComboBox and ListBox (obsolete as of Q2 2010)
Asked by
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Venkat
Top achievements
Rank 1
Peter
Telerik team
Solai