Cannot find RIA Domain Service in Visual Studio 2010 Data Sources

4 posts, 1 answers
  1. Ant Lu
    Ant Lu avatar
    2 posts
    Member since:
    Dec 2009

    Posted 17 Nov 2010 Link to this post

    I have the following installed:
    Visual Studio 2010  v 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
    Silverlight 4 SDK
    Silverlight 4 Toolkit April 2010
    WCF RIA Services for Silverlight and Visual Studio 2010
    WCF RIA Services Toolkit May 2010
    Telerik OpenAccess Q3 2010 Demo
    Telerik RadControls Q3 2010 Demo
    MySQL 5.1 (whatever the latest community edition is)
    SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express edition)

    I create a Silverlight application. Visual Studio automatically creates a Silverlight project and an associated .Web project. I use OpenAccess to create a domain model from a very simple database (only two tables with a few columns, nothing else). I have tried creating the model from both MySql and Sql Server. Then I add a OpenAccess Domain Service to the project. I've tried adding the domain service based on Context and RLinq file. Then I build the project. When I goto my SilverlightApplication project and use Show Datasources, there is nothing there. It should be showing the Domain Service as datasource.

    Is there a bug in Visual Studio? I've heard this might've been an old bug. Or perhaps I missed a crucial step? It's very frustrating and I'd appreciate any help.
  2. Answer
    PetarP
    Admin
    PetarP avatar
    754 posts

    Posted 17 Nov 2010 Link to this post

    Hi Ant Lu,

    I have tested the case you have provided and I can confirm that everything works out fine.
    In order to see the available data sources that come from your ria data service you need to have opened a silverlight page. Please note that there is a slight delay from the time you open the data source tab to the time when it is actually populated. This occurs because of the code generation that needs to be done in order for you to have the actual data sources.
    Please also note that you need to rebuild your web project after you have added the domain service.
    I hope that helps.

    Sincerely yours,
    Petar
    the Telerik team
    See What's New in Telerik OpenAccess ORM in Q3 2010!
    Monday, November 15, 11 am Eastern Time: Register here>>
    Monday, November 15, 10 pm Eastern Time: Register here>>
  3. DevCraft banner
  4. Ant Lu
    Ant Lu avatar
    2 posts
    Member since:
    Dec 2009

    Posted 17 Nov 2010 Link to this post

    Hi Petar,
    Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. Your hint regarding "In order to see the available data sources that come from your ria data service you need to have opened a silverlight page." was the key to repeatable success. It seems that the Silverlight project will recognize the .Web project's data source *only after* Running the solution at least once. Not what I would expect, but since it seems to work consistently now, I won't complain.

    Once again, thanks so much for your help!
  5. PetarP
    Admin
    PetarP avatar
    754 posts

    Posted 19 Nov 2010 Link to this post

    Hello Ant Lu,

     Actually in order for your data source tab to be populated you are not required to run your solution but just to open an silverlight page. Please note that depending on the scope of the application the process of populating the data source tab can be more time consuming.
    I am happy you have managed to continue with your project. Please do not hesitate to contact us back should you face any further difficulties.

    Sincerely yours,
    Petar
    the Telerik team
    Accelerate your learning with industry's first Telerik OpenAccess ORM SDK. Download today.
Back to Top