Cannot capture traffic from Sitecore

6 posts, 0 answers
  1. Aren
    Aren avatar
    7 posts
    Member since:
    Apr 2011

    Posted 21 Apr 2014 Link to this post

    http://blogs.telerik.com/fiddler/posts/13-01-08/capturing-traffic-from-.net-services-with-fiddler gives an example of how to capture traffic from .NET apps. It doesn't work for me.

    I am running Sitecore 6.6, a venerable .NET app, in 64 bit mode on IIS on Windows 2008 R2 x64.

    I made the recommended changes to the machine.config files in both C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config (this is a 64 bit app, so this one is probably the one in use) and C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Config. I know that this has an effect because when I make a mistake to the Framework64's machine.config, I get a 503 error.

    Anyway, I have a feature in Sitecore that reaches out to another server via HTTPS (SharePoint Integration Framework, aka SPIF). Fiddler does not catch this. All Fiddler catches is traffic generated by my (user mode) web browser.

    If .NET application traffic was being routed through a proxy, then the Sitecore SPIF feature that reaches out to the other server would fail.

    Oh, I know that Sitecore SPIF is indeed reaching out because Wireshark shows the traffic.

    If Fiddler captures .NET application HTTP traffic, why is it not doing it here?
  2. Aren
    Aren avatar
    7 posts
    Member since:
    Apr 2011

    Posted 21 Apr 2014 in reply to Aren Link to this post

    Should have added that we can reproduce this on Windows 7 x64. If I run Fiddler with administrator privileges, it doesn't make a difference (and I didn't think it would as it's just watching a network port). We are running Fiddler 4.4.7.1.
  3. Eric Lawrence
    Admin
    Eric Lawrence avatar
    833 posts

    Posted 21 Apr 2014 Link to this post

    Hi, Aren--

    What happens if you click Help > Troubleshoot Filters in Fiddler?

    Regards,
    Eric Lawrence
    Telerik
     

    Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

     
  4. Aren
    Aren avatar
    7 posts
    Member since:
    Apr 2011

    Posted 21 Apr 2014 in reply to Eric Lawrence Link to this post

    What happens if you click Help > Troubleshoot Filters in Fiddler?
    Thanks, Eric! Doesn't change anything.

    Remember that this Sitecore feature works fine regardless of whether Fiddler is running, which suggests no proxying is going on.

    I guess my goal here is to make for doubly sure that the blog instructions cited at top are correct. If they are, then Sitecore may have something in place that bypasses proxies. I've checked its web.config and do not see anything in there that would explain this, but who knows what is behind the curtain (of code).
  5. Eric Lawrence
    Admin
    Eric Lawrence avatar
    833 posts

    Posted 22 Apr 2014 Link to this post

    Hi,

    Your original post stated that changing the proxy settings in the machine.config file would result in 503 errors in the application. Is that not the case?

    Have you looked at the contents of Sitecore's configuration files?
    https://sdn.sitecore.net/SDN5/Products/Sitecore%20V5/Sitecore%20CMS%206/Update/6_5_0_rev_110602/Upgrade%20to%20This%20Release/from%2065techpreview/650_110602.aspx

    Regards,
    Eric Lawrence
    Telerik
     

    Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

     
  6. Aren
    Aren avatar
    7 posts
    Member since:
    Apr 2011

    Posted 30 Apr 2014 in reply to Eric Lawrence Link to this post

    Sorry, I did look at the web.config and associated .config files, and I did not see options that would make Sitecore override the system proxy settings. Also, it seems that if Sitecore was really using a proxy, the requests would fail when Fiddler is not on, but they aren't. This all makes me wonder if something with Sitecore's SharePoint Information Framework is forcing it to ignore proxy settings.

    That aside, the problem we needed to diagnose has been confirmed in other ways, so there's no need for further action on this. Thank you for responding.
Back to Top