This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Auto hide VS2008 error window, it pops open repeatedly while typing

5 Answers 59 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Craig A
Top achievements
Rank 1
Craig A asked on 06 May 2010, 06:54 PM
I like to 'auto hide' the window at the bottom of VS 2008 that shows compile errors, Output, etc. so I can recover some screen real estate.

The problem is that with JustCode installed, the window constantly un-hides, then hides again, every second or two as I am typing in the source file. It makes the "Auto Hide" feature totally unusable because the constant motion of the error window is so distracting.

I assume this has something to do with the constant re-compiling/error checking that JustCode does. Is there any way to prevent the error window from constantly popping open?

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Tsviatko Yovtchev
Telerik team
answered on 07 May 2010, 09:43 AM
Hello Craig,

With JustCode you have two error windows - the VS one and a newly introduced JustCode one. Which one exhibits this behavior?

Sincerely yours,
Tsviatko Yovtchev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Craig A
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 May 2010, 12:37 AM
Hmm, I only see one "Error List" window in my lower pane of Visual Studio - it has Errors, Warnings and Messages (see attached screenshot).  I do see JustCode messages in this list, for example JS errors that Visual Studio does not find.  If I remember correctly it was this window which had activity when the window was un-hiding itself.

I just looked again, and now I see what you mean about the 'JustCode Errors' dialog. No, I did not have this dialog open at the time, and it is not docked at the bottom of Visual Studio where I was having the problem with the lower pane un-hiding itself.  So it does seem the issue is with the VS "Error List". JustCode does update the VS Error List as it does its real-time error checking, correct?

I just tried to reproduce this and could not do it.  I will try and determine some steps to reproduce and provide those details to you.

Tsviatko Yovtchev
Telerik team
answered on 10 May 2010, 01:24 PM
Hi Craig,

JustCode does not put anything in the VS Error List. So at this point of time we cannot claim direct relationship between JustCode error checking and the VS Error List window constantly popping up. It'd be great if you can reproduce this issue. Another thing you could try is to disable JustCode add-in (Tools->Add-in Manager) the next time this happens That way we'll know whether JustCode causes this.

Also, do you have any other active VS add-ins? This might be a result of a clash between JustCode and some other product.

Kind regards,
Tsviatko Yovtchev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Craig A
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 May 2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. A colleague of mine suggested that Visual Studio will exhibit this behavior all on its own. I had never seen it before, so since I noticed it just after installing JustCode I thought there was a connection. However it seems this is a known VS issue so  JustCode is innocent
Tsviatko Yovtchev
Telerik team
answered on 11 May 2010, 09:59 AM
I never knew that VS would do something like that. Thanks for the hint :)

Good to know it's not us, though. Anyways, let us know if you stumble upon some other weird stuff. It might be us the next time :)

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Craig A
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Tsviatko Yovtchev
Telerik team
Craig A
Top achievements
Rank 1