This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

ArtofTest.Common missing in 2011 R1 version?

7 Answers 176 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
Shashi asked on 06 May 2011, 08:17 PM
Hello,

I recently upgraded my Tests project from 2010 R3 to 2011 R1 (I have since migrated back) and found that ArtofTest.Common.dll is no longer delivered.  This breaks a reference in my project. 

Is this by design?  If so, what do I need to do with the reference to ArtofTest.Common?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Shashi

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 06 May 2011, 08:38 PM
Hello Shashi,

You can safety remove the references to the .Common assembly. It has been merged in ArtOfTest.WebAii one. Also on opening the test project we should be automatically removing this reference which hasn't  obviously worked for you. Can you please share if you got some error on upgrading the project to the new version or did it passed without issues?

I'm sorry for the caused confusion.

Greetings,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team
Do you think you know all the new features coming out in Test Studio R1 2011? Think again - we have some surprises and will share them with you in the What's New in Test Studio R1 2011 Webinar on May 12th.
Register Today!
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 May 2011, 09:29 PM
I didn't see the prompt to upgrade my project when I first loaded it - it seemed to appear a little while later (I think it was when I tried to open one of the aii files).  By that time I had already manually deleted the reference and replaced it with ArtofTest.Common.Design (which, based on your response, it sounds like I do not need to do).

I will try this again when I install the upgrade again (in a few days) and let you know if there is still an issue.

Shashi
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 06 May 2011, 09:41 PM
Hi Shashi,

True, we won't actually upgrade the project until open one of the Test Studio tests. I believe there's a small difference in behavior on this between our VS Plug-in version and our Standalone version. The Standalone version will automatically remove the old ArtOfTest.Common reference, however the Plug-in version will not.

All the best,
Cody
the Telerik team
Do you think you know all the new features coming out in Test Studio R1 2011? Think again - we have some surprises and will share them with you in the What's New in Test Studio R1 2011 Webinar on May 12th.
Register Today!
Monika
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Jun 2011, 02:06 AM
Hi Telerik Team,

I was using Testing framework after a long time again. And hence was referring the online documentation and  it clearly states that we need both ArtOfTest.Common.dll and ArtOfTest.WebAii.dll. Since I could not find ArtOfTest.Common.dll, I wasted my time in reinstalling, Testing Framework and then installing test Studio in order to search missing ArtOfTest.Common.dll, I think it will be really appreciable if online documentation for Testing Framework can be modified for new users, it help saving time and confusion. :-)

Thanks,
Monika
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jun 2011, 09:10 PM
Hi Monika,

Thank you for pointing out the oversight in our online users manual. It has been corrected. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. I have updated your Telerik Points to help compensate.

Greetings,
Cody
the Telerik team
Register Today!
Walter
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jun 2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Telerik, 

I've just downloaded the framework and while trying to follow the Guide in :" http://www.telerik.com/automated-testing-tools/support/documentation/user-guide/telerik-testing-framework/getting-started/using-telerik-testing-framework.aspx " I've found that its still not up to date .  I quote : 

Once Telerik Testing Framework is installed on the target machine, you can easily start using it from your .NET project by simply referencing the ArtOfTest.WebAii.dll and ArtOfTest.Command.dll files placed in your %InstallDir%. Those are the only dll's you need to reference to get the full functionality. To reference the Telerik library:

1. Select your project in the Solution Explorer in Visual Studio, or start a new project.
  2. Right-click the References folder displayed in the solution and select 'Add Reference...'.
  3. Navigate to the ArtOfTest.WebAii.dll installed on your machine in your %InstallDir%\bin folder.
  4. Select both ArtOfTest.WebAii.dll and ArtOfTest.Common.dll files. 
  5. Click OK to finish added the WebAii references needed.
"
As you can see , in the first paragraph and in point 5 there are still references to "ArtOfTest.Common.dll " which i understand has been removed from the last version .
I think it also would be useful to note that you need to set the target framework to .Net Framework 4 and not to  .Net Framework 4 Client profile. That's important because you need System.Web in order to setup the Test environment (or at least it seem so) 

regards. 

Cody
Telerik team
answered on 22 Jun 2011, 06:42 PM
Hi Walter,

Thank you for pointing out this small error in the documentation. I have fixed it.

You are correct, ArtOfTest.WebAii.dll has an indirect dependency on System.Web, System.Web.Extensions and System.ServiceModel.Web which are not available in the ".NET Framework 4 Client Profile". If you create a new Test Project in VS2010, you are forced to use ".NET Framework 4". VS2010 will not allow you to select ".NET Framework 4 Client Profile". VS2008 doesn't include support for the client profiles. This is only an issue if you are creating a Windows Form application, a Console application or a Class library in VS2010. We'll add a footnote about this dependency.

All the best,
Cody
the Telerik team
Register today for a live 'What's New in Test Studio R1 2011 SP2' event on Tuesday, July 19 at 2pm EST!

Have you looked at the new Online User Guide for Telerik Test Studio?
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1