This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Are Telerik controls recognized by MTM 2015?

8 Answers 58 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Dale
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dale asked on 04 Jan 2017, 10:11 PM

I will be using Visual Studio Test Pro 2015 (with MS Test Manager) and I need to know if MTM will recognize Telerik controls when I create an Action Recording on my WPF app.

Thanks!

-Dale

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Geri
Telerik team
answered on 09 Jan 2017, 01:57 PM
Hi Dale,

Could you please share some more details on your scenario? How do you plan to create your test - using MTM action recording only or using it and generating code for CodedUI test afterwards? It would be great if you could give us an example on what type of tests you plan to execute and the expected outcome, using a native Microsoft WPF control.

Looking forward to your reply. 

Regards,
Geri
Telerik by Progress
Want to extend the target reach of your WPF applications, leveraging iOS, Android, and UWP? Try UI for Xamarin, a suite of polished and feature-rich components for the Xamarin framework, which allow you to write beautiful native mobile apps using a single shared C# codebase.
Dale
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jan 2017, 07:41 PM

Hi Geri!

Sure! So, we plan to create our tests by launching the software product with MTM along side ... creating action recording in the process. Later on we will playback these recordings and hopefully all the cool Telerik controls will be recognized! Brian Keller (VP of MS Test Group a few years ago) said to make sure that any third-party controls used are recognized by VSTP. Hence this question.

For example, say we have a test case that is 5 steps long...and 3 of these steps involve Telerik controls (button, datagrid/sort, etc). We want to know if the playback of this test case in MTM will work. The expected outcome is that the test case will run all 5 steps automatically and not get stuck on the Telerik controls.

Finally, we will export these action recordings into a CodedUI project in Visual Studio for automated testing (test case to test case). I would expect that if Telerik controls are recognized in the action recordings above then they will export just fine in the CodedUI  project.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

-Dale

Geri
Telerik team
answered on 12 Jan 2017, 02:29 PM
Hi Dale,

Thank you very much for the comprehensive information you sent us.
Currently, we're setting up Microsoft Test Manager on our side. As soon as we're set up, we'll recreate your scenario and will get back to you with more details. Also, please note Visual Studio's statement that Visual Studio Test Pro 2015 doesn't support CodedUI:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/compare/

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
We'll be in touch shortly.

Regards,
Geri
Telerik by Progress
Want to extend the target reach of your WPF applications, leveraging iOS, Android, and UWP? Try UI for Xamarin, a suite of polished and feature-rich components for the Xamarin framework, which allow you to write beautiful native mobile apps using a single shared C# codebase.
Dale
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jan 2017, 05:34 PM

Here is the Youtube link (Brian Keller, former VP MS Test) we are using as the basis for CodedUI import into Visual Studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Bs3ww76ng 

Look at time mark 46:00 for the next 5 minutes or so. We will create the action recordings (with Telerik controls) in VSTP. Then import these action recordings into VS.

Our hope is that when the TEST GROUP creates these action recordings that all the Telerik controls we use will be recognized by VSTP. Then the TG can just hit PLAY on each test and VSTP just follows the test-steps...regardless if the control is a MS control or a Telerik control.

The CodedUI piece is how we think we can automate all these action recordings (tests)...say overnight.

Thanks for all your help!

-Dale

Georgi
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jan 2017, 01:04 PM
Hi Dale,

Thank you for the video and the additional information. We have looked in to it and we will test the scenario once the TestManager is available to us.

Please note, that currently our admin team is working on setuping the TestManager on one of our environments and once they are ready we would be able to test it and get back to you with more information on the matter.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,
Georgi
Telerik by Progress
Georgi
Telerik team
answered on 01 Feb 2017, 04:01 PM
Hi Dale,

Thank you for your patience.

We were able to test this scenario with the MTM and also compare it to the recording that can be done in a CodedUI test. You can check the attached project where you can find two tests - one with actions recorded in Coded UI test and one generated from MTM test case.

So after my testing I can confirm that the controls are located\recognized by the MTM and the generated code is very similar to the one generated by the CodedUI recorder. Also as far as I can tell the MTM action recorder is very similar(if not the same) as the CodedUI recorder as in my testing they behaved the same way.

Please note that, we recommend to use our CodedUI extensions while recording actions in the MTM, by adding them in the Visual Studio folder and GAC as explained in this help article. This way you would avoid any future mismatch with the CodedUI test and get the benefit of smart actions(Level 4 support) of some of our controls. Also as with MS controls you would need to record your verification in the CodedUI test as only action recordings are generated.

If you have other questions or you face any issues, please don't hesitate to write us.

Regards,
Georgi
Telerik by Progress
Dale
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Feb 2017, 04:34 PM

Hey Thanks Georgi and Geri for all your good work! We will keep you posted on our efforts!

-Dale

Georgi
Telerik team
answered on 06 Feb 2017, 06:49 AM
Hi Dale,

We are glad that we were able to help.

Looking forward to your findings.

Regards,
Georgi
Telerik by Progress
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Dale
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Geri
Telerik team
Dale
Top achievements
Rank 1