This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Ajax 1.0.61025.0 and 3.5.0.0

5 Answers 175 Views
Sharepoint Integration
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sylvain asked on 26 Jan 2009, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I am trying to make the RadEditor working on my server.
I have some troubles involving the version of ASP.net Ajax :

If I only have the System.Web.Extensions version 3.5.0.0. , when I deploy RadEditor to the webapp, then a lot of stuff are not working anymore : all the Sharepoint web parts show a "Web Part Error". And a lot of sites shows :
"Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parser Error "

There are two ways to make it work :

• Add the System.Web.Extensions version 1.0.61025.0  in the GAC OR
  • Add this to the web.config : " 

<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />

<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.61025.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0" />

</dependentAssembly>"

Is there any way to make it work with only the 3.5.0.0. version of Ajax and without adding bindingRedirect in the web.config ?

For information, I did follow your  recommandation for Ajax 3.5.0.0 (http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/moss-install-aspnet-ajax-35.html)

[EDIT]
I checked a bit on the forum and this thread seems to show the same pb.
The problem seems to be that the telerik dll use the 1.0.61025.0 version.
Is it possible for you, Telerik guys to compile a version using the new version of Ajax (3.5.0.0) ?
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
It seems that there are troubles when Ajax 1.0.61025.0 and 3.5.0.0 are silmutaneously installed in the GAC
[/EDIT2]

Thx a lot,
Best regards,
Sylvain

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 28 Jan 2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Sylvain,

Our RadEditor for SharePoint assembly is compiled against ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 (1.0.61025.0). If you only have the .NET Framework 3.5 installed on your server, then you will need to use one of the two workarounds you listed (<bindingRedirect> or adding the old ASP.NET AJAX assembly in the GAC). We are not aware of any problems with either approach (on the test server I have both assemblies in the GAC and everything is working as expected). If you have a problem with using either of the workarounds, please describe it here and we will try to help you.

Greetings,
Lini
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Jan 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I do have some troubles when the old and the new ajax extensions are in the GAC :
When I edit a publishing page (withthe rad editor on it), I have the error below.
Maybe this is due to my server or site configuration because I have a lot of customisation.

Will there be some problems if I compile the sources against the 3.5.0.0 version?

The trouble with the bindingRedirect is that you cannot use the SharePoint API to deploy it automatically in the web.config.

Best Regards,
Sylvain

Server Error in '/' Application.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection'.   
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.   

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection'.  

Source Error:   

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.    

Stack Trace:   

[InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection' to type 'System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection'.]  
   System.Web.Configuration.ApplicationSettings.EnsureSectionLoaded() +70  
   System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler.IsCompressionEnabled(HttpContext context) +7  
   System.Web.Handlers.RuntimeScriptResourceHandler.System.Web.Handlers.IScriptResourceHandler.GetScriptResourceUrl(Assembly assembly, String resourceName, CultureInfo culture, Boolean zip, Boolean notifyScriptLoaded) +30  
   System.Web.UI.ScriptReference.GetUrlFromName(ScriptManager scriptManager, IControl scriptManagerControl, Boolean zip) +293  
   System.Web.UI.ScriptReference.GetUrl(ScriptManager scriptManager, IControl scriptManagerControl, Boolean zip) +237  
   System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterScripts() +507  
   System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.OnPagePreRenderComplete(Object sender, EventArgs e) +111  
   System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0  
   System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreRenderComplete(EventArgs e) +2063008  
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2247  

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433  
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jan 2009, 07:54 AM
Hi Sylvain,

You should have no problem recompiling the source code of the RadEditorSharePoint assembly - simply open the project in VS 2008, update the references to Telerik.Web.UI and System.Web.Extensions assemblies to point to their .NET 3.5 versions and build. The RadEditor for MOSS code is not part of the normal controls source, but if you open a formal support ticket, we will send it to you.

As for the InvalidCastException you get when both MS AJAX assemblies are in the GAC - there are a couple of possible reasons for this. In your case I think the problem comes from the Web.config file. Make sure that you are using a fully qualified name everywhere the System.Web.Extensions assembly is referenced in the configuration. Also, if you are using the Ajax Control Toolkit, try getting an updated version for .NET 3.5 and see if it makes a difference.

Best wishes,
Lini
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
sean
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Jan 2010, 08:24 PM
'Make sure that you are using a fully qualified name everywhere the System.Web.Extensions assembly is referenced in the configuration.'

Could you please explain it in details.  We  installed .net framework 3.5 on the testing server and and we have the similar issue.
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jan 2010, 10:59 AM
Hello,

By fully qualified name we mean that wherever you are referencing the System.Web.Extensions assembly, you should make sure that you also list its version, public key token and culture. For example, in the <assemblies> tag in your web.config file:

<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions,
   Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral,
   PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

You should also make sure that everywhere in the application you are referencing the same version of the assembly - i.e. don't use System.Web.Extensions version 1.0 and version 3.5 in the same app. The .NET framework will only load the assembly referenced in your app, so it will not be a problem if you have AJAX 1.0 and .NET 3.5.

If you are getting the InvalidCastException on your site, you can look in our forums (http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet/ajax/q2-bug-could-not-load-file-or-assembly-system-web-extensions.aspx) -  or the ASP.NET forums (http://forums.asp.net/p/1171570/1971496.aspx) for similar threads.

Sincerely yours,
Lini
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
Sharepoint Integration
Asked by
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Lini
Telerik team
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1