This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

After upgrade to latest ASP.NET AJAX, v2014.1.403.40 get skin error

5 Answers 52 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
nfigueroa
Top achievements
Rank 1
nfigueroa asked on 03 Apr 2014, 10:30 PM
Hi all

After upgrading to the latest release I get the error "Telerik.Web.UI.RadAjaxLoadingPanel with ID='LoadingPanel1' was unable to find an embedded skin with the name 'Transparent'."

Was this skin eliminated from the release package?  If so, what options do I have since I am depend heavily on this skin all over the system. 

Thanks

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Pavlina
Telerik team
answered on 03 Apr 2014, 10:37 PM
Hi,

The obsolete built-in skins Transparent, Hay, Forest and Sitefinity have been removed from the Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assembly as of the Q1 2014 release of Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX.
If you want, however, to use Transparent skin in your project and at the same time you want to upgrade to the latest version, you have two options: 
    - You can configure the Telerik controls to use one of the newer skins that we introduced recently, instead of the obsolete ones.
    - You can modify one of the existing skins in order to create a new one that will have the name and appearance of Transparent skin. The Visual Style Builder will be quite useful for this purpose.

Regards,
Pavlina
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

nfigueroa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Apr 2014, 01:49 AM
Hi Pavlina

Thanks for the reply although very disappointing.  These are not options for us right now.  We have developed a website and have spent very long hours setting controls so our site looks in a certain look and feel to simply now find out we cannot upgrade anymore because it won't run just because telerik has decided to strip away what I think is one of the most clever looking skins.

Sure I can develop our own skin to our liking, but that's the reason we bought Telerik in the first place.  So we would have to deal with such a thing.  Now this leaves us with nothing but to change completely the look and feel of the website or not to upgrade at all.  In with case we might as well start looking for other third-party tool options or get rid of them and do it ourselves.

Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 04 Apr 2014, 12:49 PM
Hello,

The Transparent and the other three obsolete skins are still available with previous releases of Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX, which you can obtain from your account profile (http://www.telerik.com/account/your-products/product-versions/olderversions.aspx?pid=561 and then click older versions as shown in this picture).

You can see how to register an external skin at Skin Registration.

Downside is that you will not be able to use new features as they become available, because the styles and images for them may be missing in the deleted skin.

Best regards,
Rumen
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

nfigueroa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Apr 2014, 01:16 PM
Well

After trying to change one of the existing skins to look more like the Transparent, I have resorted to go back the previous version.  Which leaves me with no upgrading options ever.  It really makes no sense for Telerik to make us rely on a product software programming and look-and-feel and then take away features we depend on.  With all do respect to telerik developers and personnel, I must say you got yourselves one unhappy customer.  This will reflect upon use not renewing the subscription of telerik, as I will recommend to my company.

Regards
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 09 Apr 2014, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I have good news that we provided the Transparent skin as a separate download in the following code library: Transparent Skin (incl. Photoshop source files).

You can register the external skin as shown in this help article Skin Registration.

If you experience any problems with the registration, please open a support ticket and our support will be glad to help you.

Best regards,
Rumen
Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
nfigueroa
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Pavlina
Telerik team
nfigueroa
Top achievements
Rank 1