This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Adding Telerik toolbox to visual studio 2017

9 Answers 3167 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Samara
Top achievements
Rank 1
Samara asked on 18 May 2017, 07:55 PM

Hey, 

So I downloaded the telerik toolkit trial first and then I downloaded visual studio 2017. I followed the link below to add the toolkit into visual studio, but I'm getting a message that says "There are no usuable controls in this group. Drag an item onto this text to add it to the toolbox." Is there another method to try for adding the toolkit? 

http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/general-information/integration-with-visual-studio/adding-the-telerik-controls-to-the-visual-studio-toolbox

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Samara
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 May 2017, 08:21 PM
So I double checked my .NET version to make sure I was getting Telerik.Web.UI.dll from the right bin folder. And when I add the toolkit it tells me that the controls were added but aren't enabled in the active designer, is there something I have to do to enable them?
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 22 May 2017, 08:57 AM
Hello Samara,

I am sorry for the late reply.

I would recommend to use the Toolbox Configuration utility which is a part of our Visual Studio extensions. Here is how to install our Visual Studio extensions:

1. Launch Extensions and Updates (Tools | Extensions and Updates...).
2. Navigate to Online.
3. Search for "telerik asp.net ajax vsextensions".
4. Download and install Telerik ASP.NET AJAX VSExtensions.

You can find more about the Toolbox Configuration utility here:

http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/general-information/integration-with-visual-studio/visual-studio-extensions/toolbox-configuration

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik by Progress
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Samara
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 May 2017, 06:24 PM

Hey Vesko, 

No worries. Ok so I've tried the 4 steps you suggested, and it did do an update and it said it installed the Telerik ASP.NET AJAX VSExtensions successfully, but still nothing is appearing the in the toolbox. I tried to run the toolbox configuration utility after that to see if it would do anything, and VS2017 did restart but nothing changed. I tried going through the choose items method once more and it tells me the files were "successfully added but are not enabled in the active designer". So I'm being told everything was installed fine, but then my toolbox doesn't show any of the telerik tools.  

Any other ideas for what could check or try? I'm using .NET 4.5 so I don't think that's the issue, but I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Thanks,

Samara

Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 25 May 2017, 12:30 PM
Hi Samara,

I've just seen that you have initiated a private communication regarding this issue. We will respond there.

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik by Progress
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Angel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jan 2019, 08:32 AM
The same thing happens with VS 2017. How can I solve it?

Thank you
Angel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jan 2019, 08:40 AM
I already found the solution

thank you
ShalomKeynan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Feb 2019, 12:21 AM
Are you willing to share how you got the telerik menu back into visual studio IDE
Claudia
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Apr 2019, 11:33 PM

Hello Angel  How can solved the issue with Vs 2017?

Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 03 Apr 2019, 10:13 AM
Hi guys,

Here are some general troubleshooting steps for Visual Studio 2017 toolbox:

First, make sure that our controls are registered - Set Toolbox Version.

If the controls are not visible, reset the Visual Studio toolbox:
  1. Launch Visual Studio.
  2. Open the toolbox panel.
  3. Right-click anywhere in the panel and choose Reset toolbox.
  4. Restart Visual Studio.

If the controls are not visible after you reset the toolbox, you can clean up the *.tbd and the privateregistry.bin files:

1. Close all Visual Studio instances.
  2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_<instanceID>. Note that you may have several such folders.
  3. Make sure that 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' is selected in the Windows Explorer options.
  4. Delete all *.tbd files.
  5. Delete the privateregistry.bin file.
  6. Register our controls - Set Toolbox Version.

Regards,
Vesko
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Samara
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Samara
Top achievements
Rank 1
Vesko
Telerik team