This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Ad Hoc Reports

5 Answers 243 Views
Report Designer (standalone)
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jegan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jegan asked on 15 May 2014, 06:03 AM
Hi,

I downloaded Report Designer Q1 2014 yesterday. I want to create Ad Hoc Report for end user.  The tables and columns available in dataset should be available for the end user to select  only the Required column and design their own report.  But the end user will not have Report Designer in their Desktop. Can you please confirm whether this can be done through Telerik.

Thanks,
Jegan Benitto Francis

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 16 May 2014, 11:57 AM
Hello Jegan,

The Standalone Designer is an executable you can freely distribute as a part of your solution. More details are included in the License Agreement (2.3 Report Designer License).

The generated by the tool reports will be in XML format and saved in TRDX files. Based on this you can implement custom upload functionality to send the XML to the server and display it in a report viewer.

For the client-side you will need to distribute Telerik Reporting and the Standalone Designer. To ease users in designing reports you can provide templates or extend the tool configuration to load external assemblies with user functions and data.

When the designed report is sent to the server, you can display it via report source object depending on your requirements:
You can use the ASP.NET ReportViewer (uses mainly the ASP.NET Session to preserve the report instance between requests), or the HTML5 Report Viewer which is served by the Reporting REST Service (uses cache files or database to preserve the report between requests). With the REST service, customizations on reports can be done if you use Custom Report Resolver.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Jegan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 May 2014, 12:16 PM
Hi Stef ,

Thanks for your reply.  I think i did not give my requirement properly before.
Please read through my actual requirement and guide me on how to proceed further and which edition should i download etc.

I need to create a report with Dataset from my end ( Blank Report).
User has to select column from Dataset and view it in report viewer.
But End user will not have any telerik Products in their Desktop.

Please let me know Which edition of Telerik should i download and also provide me step by step support on how can i acheive my target  by allowing my end user to drag column whatever they need.

Thanks,
JB
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 21 May 2014, 09:12 AM
Hi JB,

Currently, there is no Report Designer available in browser. The options to allow the user to control the report layout are:
  • The described one, where you can freely distribute the Standalone Designer tool;
  • To create an application with custom UI, where you can gather the user selection what data and how it should be visualized. Then create dynamically a report using the gathered information at run-time.
    For the purpose you can start by creating simple layouts with the integrated in Visual Studio Report Designer to get familiar with the report and other items structures. Thus you can also use the code already generated in the designer.cs(vb) file.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Srinivas Dharanipragada
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 May 2014, 06:55 AM
Can i know the reason why this feature is not integrated with telerik controls, as so many third party tools have already having it. I am sure as having a lot of customers you would have already having it. Can i know is anything is going in this aspect.

As we are using telerik license from last 4 years, and we cannot move to other third party tools.

Actual my requirement is to have adhoc filtering for the grid i am using now, where user can decide which columns to be there in the grid and custom filters/joins for filtering the result.

Regards,
Harinath
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 28 May 2014, 01:39 PM
Hi Harinath,

The Standalone Designer can be freely distributed and adjusted to ease end-users.

If you need to make this changes through a web site, you can use the approach described in my previous posts - create a custom UI to gather the user input and create a report at run-time based on this selection.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Tags
Report Designer (standalone)
Asked by
Jegan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stef
Telerik team
Jegan
Top achievements
Rank 1