This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Selection out of range Parameter Name: value

2 Answers 263 Views
ComboBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
ToltingColtAcres
Top achievements
Rank 2
Veteran
Iron
ToltingColtAcres asked on 31 Jan 2013, 03:20 PM
Yes, this is a common problem. The foreign key stored in a field is no longer valid.

Not all legacy applications use declared referential integrity. Sometimes, on some records, foreign keys are broken.

In other languages, how comboboxes deal with this situation is they simply remain blank.

Not with a RadComboBox. Instead, it throws an error.

Now, combine this with an online web application which uses a RadMultiPage and dozens of RadComboBoxes.

How many hours do you have to spend when one of these situations pop up attempting to find which Combobox is the source of the error?

Well, its been 4 thusfar this morning, and I'm no closer to finding which RadComboBox is throwing the error.

Do you think, maybe.... just maybe... you could print the name of the control throwing the error in the error message to aid people in tracking down specifically which control is tossing its cookies? Rather than

Selection out of Range
Parameter Name: value

maybe make it read:

Selection out of Range
Parameter Name: value
Control: Whatever id= name my control has?

?

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Boyan Dimitrov
Telerik team
answered on 05 Feb 2013, 03:04 PM
Hello,

I can totally understand your frustration to spend hours in searching one RadComboBox that throws an exception.
I am afraid that printing the RadComboBox name or any any property of that object could not be achieved in this case. I would recommend debugging the server-side code and specifically the data bind expression for your RadComboBox controls and try to find which will have invalid values.

I also forwarded your proposition to our developers for consideration.

I would like to apologize for any inconveniences caused.

Regards,
Boyan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
mathieu
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Oct 2014, 07:42 PM
I totally agree this error message is really frustrating because is too poor we need at least a lead. 
We need some information about the controls ideally with the user control or other but something. Anything will be better than nothing like now..
Tags
ComboBox
Asked by
ToltingColtAcres
Top achievements
Rank 2
Veteran
Iron
Answers by
Boyan Dimitrov
Telerik team
mathieu