This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Connection Strings

5 Answers 460 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Srinath
Top achievements
Rank 1
Srinath asked on 19 Jul 2012, 08:41 PM
Hi,

I am trying to integrate Telerik reports into my existing MVC web application.
I didn't create new class library for reports, just added a new reports folder to the existing project.
When i add data sources to the reports with sql server authentication mode, the connection strings dont get added to web.config file.
Also in the Data Sources configuration wizard i see past connection strings which are not present in web.config file.

Where file are the connection strings created using wizard saved to?
How to delete the old connection strings?

Also i created a connection string with the same name as that in web.config file. but i get the error shown in attached file when i try to add fields onto report.

Thanks.
Srinath.

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Petio Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jul 2012, 09:13 AM
Hi Srinath,

First of all, when you're using a web site project, we suggest to structure the reporting solution by creating a class library that contains the report definitions and then reference that class library in your web site(this solution structure is described in our best practices help article). 

SqlDataSource Wizard searches for existing database connections in Server Explorer and in the configuration file of the current project. For example, if you have a separate class library project for your reports, the wizard searches for connection strings only in the App.config file of that project. If you have your connection string specified in the Web.config file of another project, you need to copy it to the App.config file of the report class library as well, otherwise the wizard cannot discover it.  

Greetings,
Petio Petkov
the Telerik team

BLOGGERS WANTED! Write a review about Telerik Reporting or the new Report Designer, post it on your blog and get a complimentary license for Telerik Reporting. We’ll even promote your blog and help bring you a few fresh readers. Yes, it’s that simple. And it’s free. Get started today >

Bill
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Feb 2013, 10:25 AM
HI Srinath,

I also have the same problem as Petio. I did not create a project for the report.I want to the delete the connection string created in the past.
But I can not find app.config file.

Can you show me how to find it?
Thanks
Bill
Raji
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jun 2017, 11:54 AM
how to give connection string while creating band report
Raji
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jun 2017, 11:55 AM
how to give connection string while creating band report 
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jun 2017, 12:20 PM
Hi Raji,

When you are creating a report (VS - ClassLibrary project - Add NewI tem - Reporting - Telerik Report <VERSION>), select the Band Report Wizard and select to use a SqlDataSource component. Then follow the steps from How to: Connect to a SQL Database.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Stef
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Srinath
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Petio Petkov
Telerik team
Bill
Top achievements
Rank 1