This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Exception thrown attempting to launch Internet Explorer

18 Answers 461 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jonathan asked on 22 Nov 2011, 01:22 PM
We are getting error when trying to launch internet explorer in a silverlight test (coded, not recorded). Internet explorer is launched correctly, but we get an exception:

Setup code:
manager = new Manager(new Settings {
    EnableSilverlight = true,
    RecycleBrowser = true,
    DefaultBrowser = BrowserType.InternetExplorer,
    ClientReadyTimeout = 50000,
    ExecuteCommandTimeout = 60000,
    ExecutionDelay = 100,
    WaitCheckInterval = 500,
    SimulatedMouseMoveSpeed = 0.5f,
    EnableUILessRequestViewing = false,
    QueryEventLogErrorsOnExit = false,
    EnableScriptLogging = false,
    AnnotateExecution = true,
    AnnotationMode = AnnotationMode.All,
    LocalWebServer = LocalWebServerType.None,
    BaseUrl = "http://myurl/"
});
manager.Start();
manager.LaunchNewBrowser();
manager.ActiveBrowser.NavigateTo("/mypage.aspx"); // <-- Exception here
MyApp = manager.ActiveBrowser.SilverlightApps()[0];

Exception:

Exception thrown attempting to launch Internet Explorer. Please make sure Internet Explorer is properly installed and you are able to launch it.

Uncategorized: DialogMonitor.Start() : Using: ArtOfTest.WebAii, Version=2011.1.712.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4fd5f65be123776c
Uncategorized: DialogMonitor.Start() : OS: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
DialogPlayback: Manager.SetupDialogMonitoring() : Beginning monitoring for dialogs from the set {}.
UIAutomation: UIAutomationWindowMonitor.get_Instance() : Added a(n) WindowPatternIdentifiers.WindowOpenedProperty handler on element System.Windows.Automation.AutomationElement scope Descendants.
Framework: DialogMonitor.Start() : The current ActiveBrowser is either invisible or disconnected.
Framework: InternetExplorerActions.LaunchNewBrowserInstance() : Process launched (ID=13160, Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", Arguments="-nomerge about:blank").
Framework: Manager.LaunchNewBrowser() : Attempting to attach on IE frame (HWND=924970)...
Error: [unknown]() : Unable to open key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Telerik
Framework: Context.AfterScenario() : The current ActiveBrowser is either invisible or disconnected.
Framework: Context.AfterTestRun() : The current ActiveBrowser is either invisible or disconnected.
Framework: Manager.End() : Connecting to the provisioning pipe "Pipe.ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserProvisioner_-464670241" in order to unblock and eventually terminate it...
Framework: Manager.End() : Provisioning pipe connected.
Framework: ExecutionContext.runTryCode() : A new client has connected to the provisioning pipe but this will be treated as a termination cue.
Framework: Manager.End() : Provisioning thread terminated.
DialogPlayback: Manager.End() : Dialog monitoring is being halted.

Search: System.ApplicationException : Exception thrown attempting to launch Internet Explorer. Please make sure Internet Explorer is properly installed and you are able to launch it.
  ----> System.TypeInitializationException : The type initializer for 'ArtOfTest.Common.Win32.Connector' threw an exception.
  ----> System.NullReferenceException : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

How can we fix?

Thanks,
Jon

18 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stoich
Telerik team
answered on 22 Nov 2011, 01:39 PM
Hello Jonathan,
please go through the following troubleshooting guide:
http://www.telerik.com/automated-testing-tools/support/documentation/user-guide/troubleshooting_guide/recording-problems/unable-to-launch-recorder.aspx

Let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Stoich
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Nov 2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks, built project as x86 and that worked.
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Nov 2011, 05:54 PM
It worked fine on my local machine, but now I am attempting to run these tests on our build server, but it does not work. I've followed all the steps here, but no luck. Still get the error:

System.ApplicationException : Exception thrown attempting to launch Internet
Explorer. Please make sure Internet Explorer is properly installed and you are a
ble to launch it.
  ----> System.TypeInitializationException : The type initializer for 'ArtOfTest
.Common.Win32.Connector' threw an exception.
  ----> System.NullReferenceException : Object reference not set to an instance
of an object.
   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserSpecialized.InternetExplorer.InternetExplorerActio
ns.LaunchNewBrowserInstance(Int32 timeout, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, Strin
g pipename)

I have verified that it is opening IE 8 32 bit version and all the settings are correct. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Nov 2011, 01:06 PM
I have tried switching browser.

On chrome I get: "Pipe hasn't been connected yet" and no chrome instance opens.

On Firefox I get an instance, but the Url is "about:blank?!!AOT2.0!Pipe.ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserProvisioner_-2074718837" and nothing happens.

What can I do?

Thanks,
Jon
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Nov 2011, 10:40 AM
Are there any examples of running tests in Firefox or chrome?
Stoich
Telerik team
answered on 28 Nov 2011, 06:14 PM
Hello Jonathan,
what version of Test Studio are you using? Please go ahead and upgrade to the latest available version of Test Studio (1117). You can download it from your Telerik account. Are you getting the errors with FF/Chrome when running tests against a Silverlight app?

On the IE problem that you're experiencing on the non-local machine:
looking at the stack trace I'm inclined to think this is the same issue (test project is built in x64). Please check closely whether this might be the problem.

All the best,
Stoich
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Nov 2011, 10:56 AM
These are coded tests written directly against the ArtOfTest.WebAii dll (version 2011.1.712.0) and are compiled with x86. IE works on my local machine, but not on the build server (I have gone through all the steps in the troubleshooting). Chrome and Firefox do not work either locally or on the build server.

On chrome I get: "Pipe hasn't been connected yet" and no chrome instance opens.

On Firefox I get an instance, but the Url is "about:blank?!!AOT2.0!Pipe.ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserProvisioner_-2074718837" and nothing happens.

Thanks,
Jon
Stoich
Telerik team
answered on 02 Dec 2011, 03:47 PM
Hi Jonathan,
at this point it might be best to look at this issue directly on your machine via screensharing. Hopefully we'll be able to troubleshoot this on the sport. Please go ahead and suggest a time/date and I'll schedule a GoToMeeting.

Greetings,
Stoich
the Telerik team
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Dec 2011, 11:05 AM
Is tomorrow (Friday 9th) possible? 10am GMT?

Thanks,
Jon
Plamen
Telerik team
answered on 12 Dec 2011, 12:28 PM
Hello Jonathan,

Stoil took a couple days of vacation so I've went ahead and sent you a meeting request for tomorrow at same time(10am GMT). Please go ahead and update the time if necessary.

Greetings,
Plamen
the Telerik team
Greg Schnider
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Dec 2011, 10:02 PM
I am getting the same problems as Jon, so am very interested in any follow-up to this issue.

cheers,

Greg Schnider
Stoich
Telerik team
answered on 13 Dec 2011, 07:33 PM
Hello Greg,
we determined that Jon didn't have the free Telerik Testing Framework installed on this build server. Because of this the required Telerik DLLs were not present on that machine. Telerik Test Studio/Run-time edition/Telerik testing framework (only one) must be installed on a machine intended for test execution (even if you're using a different runner like Nunit's runner in Jon's case).

Greetings,
Stoich
the Telerik team
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Jan 2012, 12:04 AM
Hi, I am seeing this issue with version TTF 2011.2.1117 with the following config: Win 7 x64, VS2010 with test project built against x86, NUnit 2.5.10.11092 running nunit-x86.exe, IE9. I have uninstalled and reinstalled TTF and setup IE9, but am still having the issue.

GroupCommerce.Tests.UIAutomation.CarAndDriverTests.TestBuy_IE:
System.ApplicationException : Exception thrown attempting to launch Internet Explorer. Please make sure Internet Explorer is properly installed and you are able to launch it.
  ----> System.TypeInitializationException : The type initializer for 'ArtOfTest.Common.Win32.Connector' threw an exception.
  ----> System.NullReferenceException : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserSpecialized.InternetExplorer.InternetExplorerActions.LaunchNewBrowserInstance(Int32 timeout, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String pipename)
at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core.Manager.LaunchNewBrowser(BrowserType browserToLaunch, Boolean waitForBrowserToConnect, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String arguments)
at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core.Manager.LaunchNewBrowser(BrowserType browserToLaunch)
at GroupCommerce.Tests.UIAutomation.CarAndDriverTests.AutomationInitialize(BrowserType browserType) in C:\code\Backend\Tests\Automation\FrontendUIAutomation\CarAndDriverTests.cs:line 81
at GroupCommerce.Tests.UIAutomation.CarAndDriverTests.TestBuy_IE() in C:\code\Backend\Tests\Automation\FrontendUIAutomation\CarAndDriverTests.cs:line 147
--TypeInitializationException
at ArtOfTest.Common.Win32.Connector.Start(ConnectorEntryPoint entryPoint, IntPtr windowHandle)
at ArtOfTest.Common.Win32.Connector.Attach(IntPtr& handle, Boolean findTabWindow)
at ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserSpecialized.InternetExplorer.InternetExplorerActions.LaunchNewBrowserInstance(Int32 timeout, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String pipename)
--NullReferenceException
at ArtOfTest.Common.Win32.Connector..cctor()

What should I do to fix this?

Thanks,
CC
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Jan 2012, 12:48 AM
Never mind. It turns out my test project was still pointing to stale version of the webaii dlls.
Danamma
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Feb 2015, 01:11 PM
Hi Telerik Team ,

I am facing Issue to launch Internet Explorer 11 using Telerik Test Studio.Please provide me solution 

Below is the Exception

Overall Result: Fail------------------------------------------------------------'2/9/2015 12:45:08 AM' - Executing test: 'WebTest(1)', path: 'WebTest(1).tstest.''2/9/2015 12:45:08 AM' - Using .Net Runtime version: '4.0.30319.18444' for test execution. Build version is '2014.4.1211.0'.'2/9/2015 12:45:08 AM' - Starting execution....'2/9/2015 12:45:10 AM' - Detected custom code in test. Locating test assembly: LernerTestAutomation.dll.'2/9/2015 12:45:10 AM' - Assembly Found: C:\Users\bkulkarni\Documents\Test Studio Projects\LernerTestAutomation\bin\LernerTestAutomation.dll'2/9/2015 12:45:10 AM' - Loading code class: 'LernerTestAutomation.WebTest_1_'.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'2/9/2015 12:45:20 AM' - Using 'InternetExplorer' version '11.0' as default browser. '2/9/2015 12:45:44 AM' - 'Fail' : 1. [WebTest1_CodedStep] : Navigate to : 'http://www.google.com/'------------------------------------------------------------Failure Information: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Exception thrown executing coded step: '[WebTest1_CodedStep] : Navigate to : 'http://www.google.com/''.InnerException:System.ApplicationException: Exception thrown attempting to launch Internet Explorer. Please make sure Internet Explorer is properly installed and you are able to launch it. ---> System.TimeoutException: Wait for condition has timed out   at ArtOfTest.Common.WaitSync.CheckResult(WaitSync wait, String extraExceptionInfo, Object target)   at ArtOfTest.Common.WaitSync.For[T](Predicate`1 predicate, T target, Boolean invertCondition, Int32 timeout, WaitResultType errorResultType)   at ArtOfTest.Common.WaitSync.For[T](Predicate`1 predicate, T target, Boolean invertCondition, Int32 timeout)   at ArtOfTest.Common.WaitSync.For[T](Predicate`1 predicate, T target, Int32 timeout)   at ArtOfTest.Common.Win32.Connector.Attach(IntPtr& handle, Boolean findTabWindow, Int32 waitTimeout)   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserSpecialized.InternetExplorer.InternetExplorerActions.LaunchNewBrowserInstance(Int32 timeout, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String pipename)   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserSpecialized.InternetExplorer.InternetExplorerActions.LaunchNewBrowserInstance(Int32 timeout, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String pipename)   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core.Manager.LaunchNewBrowser(BrowserType browserToLaunch, Boolean waitForBrowserToConnect, ProcessWindowStyle windowStyle, String arguments)   at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core.Manager.LaunchNewBrowser()   at LernerTestAutomation.WebTest_1_.WebTest1_CodedStep() in c:\Users\bkulkarni\Documents\Test Studio Projects\LernerTestAutomation\WebTest(1).tstest.cs:line 58------------------------------------------------------------'2/9/2015 12:45:44 AM' - Detected a failure. Step is marked 'ContinueOnFailure=False' aborting test execution.------------------------------------------------------------'2/9/2015 12:45:44 AM' - Overall Result: Fail'2/9/2015 12:45:44 AM' - Duration: [0 min: 33 sec: 624 msec]------------------------------------------------------------'2/9/2015 12:46:05 AM' - Test completed!
Ivaylo
Telerik team
answered on 13 Feb 2015, 08:27 AM
Hello Danamma,

Please check this article on how to overcome the problem you are experiencing.

Regards,
Ivaylo
Telerik

The New Release of Telerik Test Studio Is Here! Download, install,
and send us your feedback!
Danamma
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Feb 2015, 09:30 AM
Hello Ivaylo

Thanks for your feedback.still I am facing this issue.I am connecting to client through VPN and running scripts on client machine.At this phase above mentioned Error occurs.
Ivaylo
Telerik team
answered on 17 Feb 2015, 08:50 AM
Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing this behavior. Another way to proceed is to change the execution machine.

Regards,
Ivaylo
Telerik

The New Release of Telerik Test Studio Is Here! Download, install,
and send us your feedback!
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by