This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadWindowManager

2 Answers 58 Views
Window
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
Stuart Hemming asked on 10 Feb 2011, 10:52 AM
I've often wondered why it is that we can have only one RadScriptManager on a page and we can have only one RadAjaxManager on a page but we can have lots of RadWindowManagers on a page.

I have to say that my life would have been easier if I could have just said RadWindowManager.GetCurrent(Page) on more than one occasion. 

Just an idle question.

-- 
Curious of Grantham

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Svetlina Anati
Telerik team
answered on 15 Feb 2011, 03:20 PM
Hello Stuart,

I understand your idea and actually the initial design of the RadWindowManager was to be a singleton and if this has continued so, we could have implemented a server method similar to GetCurrent() (as the GetRadWindowManager client method which does the same on the client). However, we started receieving many customers requests for having more than one RadWindowManager - the most common scenario asked was to open predefined dialogs with different skins and as you know the skin can't be changed on the client. Other requests were for opening multiple windows dynamically with a set of properties, etc. As a result we changed the logic so that there can be more RadWindowManagers and you can call all the methods through the manager client object (e.g if you call radalert directly, it will be always generated by one of the managers but if you call manager2.radalert this will open it from the corresponding manager). This being said, since we support multiple managers there is no sense to add a server method which return the manager because it is not only one.

What I can suggest, however, is that you could implement a property in your base page - e.g if you have a master page with a RadWindowManager you can expose it to the content pages, if you have a base Page you can expose it and inherit your other pages from it, etc.

I hope that my explanations are detailed enough and helpful, let me know how it goes.

All the best,
Svetlina
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 15 Feb 2011, 04:33 PM
Svetlina,

Thanks for the detailed response.

What I can suggest, however, is that you could implement a property in your base page
Which is what we've done.

Many thanks.

-- 
Stuart
Tags
Window
Asked by
Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Svetlina Anati