This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadEditor lost cursor

12 Answers 173 Views
Editor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
AM
Top achievements
Rank 1
AM asked on 14 Dec 2010, 10:48 AM
Hi,
When I click on the Preview button and then again in the Design editor loses the cursor, I can write but can not see the cursor. I came to that as you click to a different place than the Iframe editor then it works and appears to back the cursor. I did also go to edit my own but it will not come. The error occurs in the latest Firefox, I checked the Opera is working properly. The same error is on your side in the demo.

aspx:
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<head runat="server">
    <title></title>
</head>
<body>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <div>
        <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />
        <telerik:RadEditor ID="reEdytor" runat="server" EditModes="All"
            ContentFilters="MakeUrlsAbsolute" Width="100%" Height="93%" AutoResizeHeight="false"
            EnableResize="false" ToolsFile="~/Config/radeditor.xml">
        </telerik:RadEditor>
        <telerik:RadScriptBlock runat="server">

<script type="text/javascript">
                Telerik.Web.UI.Editor.CommandList["FileEdit"] = function(commandName, editor, args) {
                    editor.set_mode(1);
                    setTimeout(function() {
                        editor.setFocus();
                    }, 10);
                }          
            </script>

</telerik:RadScriptBlock>
    </div>
    </form>
</body>
</html>

Config/radeditor.xml

<root>
  <modules>
      <module name="RadEditorStatistics" dockingZone="Bottom" enabled="true" visible="true" dockable="true" />
      <module name="RadEditorDomInspector" dockingZone="Module" enabled="true" visible="true" dockable="true" />
      <module name="RadEditorNodeInspector" dockingZone="Module" enabled="true" visible="true" dockable="true" />
      <module name="RadEditorDiagnostics" dockingZone="Module" enabled="true" visible="true" dockable="true" />
      <module name="RadEditorHtmlInspector" dockingZone="Module" enabled="true" visible="false" dockable="true" />
  </modules>
    <tools enabled="true">
        <tool name="FileEdit"/>

</tools>

<links>
    </links>

<snippets>
    </snippets>

<symbols>

</symbols>
    <fontNames>
    </fontNames>
    <fontSizes>
    </fontSizes>

<colors>
    </colors>
    <classes>
    </classes>

<paragraphs>
    </paragraphs>

<dialogParameters>
    </dialogParameters>
    <languages>
    </languages>
</root>

12 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 14 Dec 2010, 05:32 PM
Hi AM,

The content area of RadEditor is an editable IFRAME and the reported problem is Firefox v3.6 browser bug (a regression) introduced in Firefox 3.6. We found that this issue is logged in this BugZilla report: focus() to an iframe in designmode renders cursor (caret) invisible in FF3.6 only.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Diane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Feb 2011, 04:35 PM
I'm having a similar problem, but in IE8.
I have a page which has a dialog which uses the RadTabStrip. A few of the tabbed pages in the dialog have a few RadEditors on them.

When I put the cursor in one of the RadEditors, then change to a different tab in the RadTabStrip, I lose the cursor. Sometimes the cursor appears as a giant cursor about an inch wide at the left of my webpage. But usually, I am just unable to enter any text or make any selections while the cursor is missing.

Have you got any suggestions for solutions or insight into the problem?

Thanks.

Diane.
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 01:38 PM
Hello Diane,

I am afraid that I am not aware of this IE8 problem. Is it possible to isolate it in a simple working project and submit it for examination via a support ticket?

After reproducing the issue on our side, we will do our best to find a solution.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Yaroslav
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2011, 09:56 AM
Hello All,
I have the same problem in IE8
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 18 Mar 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi Yaroslav,

I am afraid that Diane did not provide the requested project and the reported cursor problem in IE8 is still not replicated on our side. If you are able to isolate it in a sample example, please send it for examination. In other case we will be unable to help you.

You can also try to reproduce the problem in the new IE9 and see whether it is not fixed by the browser developers.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Ivajlo Tchobanov
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Mar 2011, 12:58 PM
Hello All,
I have the same problem in IE9
Dobromir
Telerik team
answered on 30 Mar 2011, 04:10 PM
Hi Ivajlo,

Once again we tried to reproduce the problem locally but to no avail. To be able to provide more-to-the-point answer and a possible solution we will need to examine and debug the problem, however, so far noone have provided a sample project. Could you please provide a runnable project and / or a live URL where we can observe this issue?

Greetings,
Dobromir
the Telerik team
Tangium
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Feb 2012, 02:29 PM
FYI - same problem here in IE9 in addition to that it suddenly started creating selectable blocks out of the <p> tags which makes it even more difficult to edit!?!
Diane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Feb 2012, 04:07 PM
The problem still exists in our code, and I haven't had time to submit a sample.
At the moment we just live with the fact that it's... quirky...

Scush, if you could provide a sample for them, that would be great.

There are some hacky fixes that we use to make the problem Less terrible. At common times when the problem occurs, we tell the RTE to switch to HTML mode and back again in the code behind. That must reset something on the inside because it gives you your cursor back.
Dan Sorensen
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Apr 2012, 09:14 PM
Scush: Did you ever find a resolution to the IE 9 block select issue in RadEditor? We are seeing that now as well. I'm guessing it is a CSS or JS conflict between the Sitefinity code and my own, but it would be helpful to know which element to look at first.
Tangium
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 May 2012, 12:03 PM
Hi Dan,
Yes - I opened a ticket and it was Telerik that replied with the answer:

Hello,

The following table contains the Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) properties and corresponding values that, if set, cause an HTML element to have layout:

CSS property Value
display inline-block
height any value
float left or right
position absolute
width any value
-ms-writing-mode tb-rl
zoom any value

If at least one of the above properties is set to an HTML element will cause it to have a layout and to edit it the user should double click on it and the resize handlers along with a border will appear. The hasLayout is an IE feature that cannot be disabled. It is also not supported by the other browser vendors. You can find more information about this browser functionality in the following MSDN article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533776%28VS.85%29.aspx. You will experience this behavior in all DHTML based competitors' editors as well as in the standard editable IFRAME / DIV elements.

The only possible way to stop the hasLyaout feature of Internet Explorer is to make sure that none of the above CSS properties are applied to the HTML elements in the content area.

All the best,
Rumen
the Telerik team

In my case, I had some of these properties set on my "p" tags in CSS. Changing them instantly fixed the problem.
Good luck.
Rakesh
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jan 2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks Man ..You made my day .This single html issue was been a pain for me. 
Tags
Editor
Asked by
AM
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rumen
Telerik team
Diane
Top achievements
Rank 1