This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Dependency Problem

4 Answers 76 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
cori
Top achievements
Rank 1
cori asked on 18 Nov 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm beginning work on an Office 2010 Customization that will rely (if all goes well) on OpenAccess ORM.  I've got my model developed and am working on the office solution using the model on a machine that doesn't have the OpenAccess toolset installed.

I've added references to numerous of the OpenAccess dll to my project when I ran into a problem similar to the one described in http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/orm/general-discussions/dependency-problem.aspx.  Once I move the Telerik.OpenAccess.Adonet2.dll file into the GAC I am able to build and step through some code that accesses the model and does a very simple LINQ query.  The problem is that I don't want to have to install the Adonet2 dll in the GAC of all of those machines.

Oddly, I am running 2010.3.1110.3, and it seems as though the above referenced thread indicates that this issue should be fixed in the Q1 drop.

Any ideas what I might be able to do to use my model in this project without installing the Adonet2 dll in the gac of all of these machines?

Thanks!

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Serge
Telerik team
answered on 22 Nov 2010, 05:55 PM
Hi cori,

You most certainly do not have to install the Telerik.OpenAccess.Adonet2.dll assembly into the GAC. When a project that uses OpenAccess is ran it is enough that in the output directory of the project, the executing directory contains the needed assemblies. As you know the .NET will first try and load the assembly from the GAC and if not there will try and look for it the executing dir, so having the assembly there will give you the expected result. 

The assemblies you most probably need are Telerik.OpenAcces.dll, Telerik.OpenAccess.Config.dll, Telerik.OpenAccess.Runtime.dll and Telerik.OpenAccess.Adonet2.dll. Please have a look at this help topic explaining the problem.

However, if this is not the case please be sure to contact us back so that we can further investigate this issue.

Regards,
Serge
the Telerik team
Accelerate your learning with industry's first Telerik OpenAccess ORM SDK. Download today.
Caleb
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2011, 04:22 PM
I am not able to install the .ddl's on the production server but I am getting them from my  GAC in the DEV environment.  I am not sure how to place these as a reference for the project because every time I add them They are not referenced from the bin but the GAC?

Any Help

Thanks Caleb
Caleb
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2011, 04:50 PM
I think I have it.....

I had to add the .dll's to the bin outside the project because the project refers to the GAC before checking the bin....  If found in GAC than from what I can tell .net does not check the location of the .ddl's

Caleb
Serge
Telerik team
answered on 14 Dec 2011, 03:09 PM
Hi Caleb,

The assembly resolution process always tries to retrieve the assembly from the GAC first (that is of course if it signed and versioned), the next place is the bin folder. So the bin folder (which I assume is your project output folder and the running application folder) is the right place to add them, so that they can be resolved even if they are not installed in the GAC. 

Can you verify that this solution works for you? 

I am looking forward to resolving this issue with you. 

Kind regards,
Serge
the Telerik team

Q3’11 of Telerik OpenAccess ORM is available for download. Register for the What's New in Data Tools webinar to see what's new and get a chance to WIN A FREE LICENSE!

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
cori
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Serge
Telerik team
Caleb
Top achievements
Rank 1