This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

[3684] Designer Process terminated unexpectedly!

5 Answers 160 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rob Ainscough asked on 03 Jun 2014, 04:39 PM
I've been using Q1 2014 UI Controls and for some strange reason today my project comes up with this error when I attempt to load my ChildWindow and view it (in designer) ... all of the Telerik controls have a red X image and the control is not displayed.

I've done the "usual" diagnostics process:
1.  Exit VS 2012 and come back in
2.  Clean solution, build solution
3.  Verify references are all correct with no warnings

None of this solved the design problems.  HOWEVER, please note the project compiles (builds) and executes without any issues ... so their appears to be some incompatibility with Telerik Q1 2014 (331) controls and VS 2012 designer.

Anyone run into this problem?  If so, did you ever find a solution.  I'm beginning to regret moving from Q1 2013 control to Q1 2014 ... too many bugs/issues and way too many known "breaking changes" which I find unacceptable for a tool that is to help, not hinder development projects.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I'm getting a little annoyed at all the issues around Q1 2014.  I realize Silverlight 5 is no longer "in fashion" for UI development, but it's still a far superior UI platform than HTML5 and a lot more powerful and flexible ... however Telerik's commitment to it leaves me wondering and it certainly doesn't encourage our continued investment in Telerik "development tools".

Rob

P.S.  and before you ask, NO, I'm not going to send or attach my project that is having this error (too large too sensitive), and yes I have opened a support ticket for this issue.

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Yana
Telerik team
answered on 04 Jun 2014, 10:07 AM
Hello Rob,

I am sorry to hear about your frustration. I'd like to assure you that there is no such thing as Silverlight is not in fashion anymore - we're constantly trying to improve our controls by fixing issues and providing new features. We are doing our best to keep the breaking changes introduced in our code to the bare minimum but there are cases when our components need to evolve in one or another direction and we cannot do this without some changes.

I have researched the issue in the designer further and it seems that it is more related to MS than specifically to our assemblies.  Here are some reports of similar behavior:
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/732656/3028-designer-process-terminated-unexpectedly-unable-to-load-xaml-designer-pages
http://www.beta.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/758753/xaml-designer-throws-errors-and-exceptions-frequently-on-valid-content

Additionally, I'd like to ask you what is the version of Visual Studio that you're using?  Note that upgrading to VS 2012 Update 3 fixes some of the known issues in the designer.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Regards,
Yana
Telerik

Check out Telerik Analytics, the service which allows developers to discover app usage patterns, analyze user data, log exceptions, solve problems and profile application performance at run time. Watch the videos and start improving your app based on facts, not hunches.

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Jun 2014, 04:47 PM
I'm running:

VS 2012 Ultimate
Version 11.0.61030.00 Update 4

I have tried the suggestions to clean, exit VS 2012 and delete obj/bin folders ... this did not solve the issue.

After remove the offending Telerik references in my XAML source the designer was able to load my page/control.  However I now get another error in your Telerik.ReportViewer.Silverlight.xaml file:

The specified value cannot be assigned to the collection.  The following type was expected: "Inline". 

The offending codes is:

<TextBlock Foreground="White"
           HorizontalAlignment="Center"
           VerticalAlignment="Stretch"
           FontWeight="Bold" >!</TextBlock>

It looks to me like having the "!" is not valid.

Is there an easy way to down grade from Q1 2014 back to Q1 2013 for both UI controls and reporting?  Clearly what Telerik have released in Q1 2014 is NOT ready for professional use. 

Rob Ainscough

Yana
Telerik team
answered on 05 Jun 2014, 11:13 AM
Hi Rob,

Since you mentioned that you're using the latest version of Reporting, could you please check the examples we're providing with the installation? Do you experience the issue in the designer with them?

You could easily downgrade to Q1 2013 by changing the references to Telerik assemblies, however we'd strongly recommend staying with the latest release and we could try together to get to the bottom of these issues.

Regards,
Yana
Telerik

Check out Telerik Analytics, the service which allows developers to discover app usage patterns, analyze user data, log exceptions, solve problems and profile application performance at run time. Watch the videos and start improving your app based on facts, not hunches.

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jun 2014, 02:12 AM
Hi Yana,

The Reporting demo project (VB VS 2012 for SL5) does not compile, I get the following errors:

Error 11 Could not copy "obj\Debug\VB.SilverlightDemo.dll" to "Bin\Debug\VB.SilverlightDemo.dll". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed. VB.SilverlightDemo

Error 12 Unable to copy file "obj\Debug\VB.SilverlightDemo.dll" to "Bin\Debug\VB.SilverlightDemo.dll". The process cannot access the file 'Bin\Debug\VB.SilverlightDemo.dll' because it is being used by another process. VB.SilverlightDemo

It's not being used by another process.  I exited VS 2012 and loaded it again, still same error.  All my antivirus software is disabled.

I'm starting to think there is a conflict between Q1 2014 UI and NuGet packages:

I have these installed:
Microsoft Async v1.0.168
Microsoft BCL Build Components v1.0.14
Microsoft BCL Portability Pack v1.1.8

If I remove these packages I no longer have any errors with "Design time" user controls (or child windows) that use Telerik Q1 2014 controls.  If I add the NuGet packages back (which I must because I need and use them), I will get the "Design time" errors on any Telerik control.

Please note: My specific issue is with design time, my solutions compiles and executes and the Telerik controls work as expected ... it's ONLY during design time do I have issues with Telerik control references in my .xaml -- often resulting in 2-3 minutes of "frozen" screen eventually followed by a Designer error message.

Rob.

Yana
Telerik team
answered on 09 Jun 2014, 10:34 AM
Hi Rob,

Regarding the Reporting issue - the ReportExamples solution assemblies may occasionally become locked by the Visual Studio IDE. In order to work around this issue, please load only the VB.SilverlightDemo project, or change the solution configuration from Debug to Release and then try again to re-build the whole solution.
More information on the topic can be found in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18102859/visual-studio-could-not-copy-during-build

As to the NuGet packages - I've just replied in the ticket,  here is my answer:

I have just installed the mentioned NuGet packages, but still I cannot reproduce the exception - in my test project the controls are displayed in the designer without a problem. Could you please reply to the other questions from my previous post - how the Windows7 theme is set,  which controls from the UI for SIlverlight you're using?
Also have you tried creating a new simple Silverlight application with a few controls and test the behavior in the designer?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Yana
Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Yana
Telerik team
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1