2012 Q3 install issue

9 posts, 0 answers
  1. Tom
    Tom avatar
    12 posts

Posted 25 Oct 2012 Link to this post

I have encountered an issue with the Q3 install removing all references to Q2. I am using the automated installer from the downloads page, not the Control Panel as the Control Panel will uninstall any previous controls.

In the past when we would install a new version the old one would be preserved, but in the most recent Q3 it removed all the Q2 references. We have branched production code that uses the Q2 assemblies and we don't plan to update them. We want Q3 in the newest working code to later become production.

Is there anyway to preserve both?
  2. Vesko
    Admin
    Vesko avatar
    97 posts

Posted 29 Oct 2012 Link to this post

Hi Tom,

The current version of Telerik Control Panel supports configuration for removal of previous versions of our products. You can change the KEEP PREVIOUS PARALLEL VERSIONS option through the options dialog of the Telerik Control Panel. In case you choose it, the Control Panel uses the same mechanism for preserving older versions as our automated installation packages (MSI).
    Follow the link below for more information about parallel versions.

http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/radcontrols-for-silverlight-vs-extensions-releases.html

Please, do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
    Vesko
    the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

3. DevCraft banner
  4. Tom
    Tom avatar
    12 posts

I used the automatic installer MSI and thats what has caused this issue. I will attempt it via the control panel and see if both library are preserved in Visual Studio
  5. Tom
    Tom avatar
    12 posts

I just used the Control Panel to install the Silverlight Q3 update and selected the option to preserve the old copy and run them in parallel. It kept the files on my C drive but removed them in my VS references:

http://tom.pixelsedge.net/images/20121029180636489.png

This is the same behavior we saw when installing via the MSI. As I said before we need to maintain both references for product already released for any bug fixes.
  6. Vesko
    Admin
    Vesko avatar
    97 posts

Posted 30 Oct 2012 Link to this post

Hi Tom,

You cannot have more than one version of Telerik controls in the "Add Reference" dialog. This behaviour is by design in order to avoid version problems. Our RadControls for Silverlight installer removes any older Telerik references from the dialog and sets the new ones if you choose one of the "Visual Studio Extensions" subfeatures (the Visual Studio integration) in the installer.

I suggest you to use our upgrade wizard (Telerik | RadControls for Silverlight | Upgrade Wizard). It will set a reference "Hint Path" pointing the installation folder of the version you choose from the wizard dropdown. Upgrading your old projects (to the same version) will preserve their references when you install newer parallel version.

If you have more questions please contact us again.

Greetings,
    Vesko
    the Telerik team

7. Tom
    Tom avatar
    12 posts

Posted 12 Nov 2012 Link to this post

The issue isn't upgrading older projects, the issue is production products that are being versioned. If there is a bug in our current product and we have to do some patches we simply want to do the fix and send it across. We don't have to have to worry about possible issues that could arise from the controls changing. Be it a breaking change in the controls to functions no longer be accessable as they once were. In the next version thats in development we would make these corrections, not in current production code.

Up until this point we have always seen our multiple references in the VS reference selector. I understand the value in removing them to avoid possible mis-selection, but is there a way to keep both of these references? Some option in the installer via a command line operator to preserve old references in VS?
  8. Vesko
    Admin
    Vesko avatar
    97 posts

Posted 12 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Hi Tom,

I am sorry but you cannot keep both multiple versions in the  "Add Reference" dialog.

Upgrading your old projects will make it possible to develop them using some of our previous versions. You have just to select the version of RadControls for Silverlight you used in your old projects (our upgrade wizard will list any version installed in you machine). Doing this will fix any broken references and will set them pointing (by setting hint paths in the projects) the version of RadControls for Silverlight you choose in the upgrade wizard (the old one).

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Vesko
    the Telerik team

9. Lihong
    Lihong avatar
    20 posts

Posted 31 Dec 2012 Link to this post

In my project, there are more than one versions (test version, release version, and different release versions for my different clients, etc.), It's very important keeping both multiple versions in the "Add Reference" dialog.
    Do you have any suggestion, is it possible?
  10. Chavdar Dimitrov
    Admin
    Chavdar Dimitrov avatar
    104 posts

Posted 03 Jan 2013 Link to this post

Hello,

Having multiple distributions registered in AssemblyFoldersEx (which is required for having the assemblies in the Add References dialog) causes different assembly mismatch problems, including toolbox problems and design time failures. This is why we register only one set of assemblies.

However, for adding references you can use the Browse tab and navigate to the installation folder of the controls (typically [ProgramFiles]\Telerik\[Product]).

Kind regards,
    Chavdar,
    the Telerik team

DevCraft banner