This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

2012_3_1016 Installation Kills Visual Studio Projects On Load

5 Answers 102 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
Moon asked on 19 Oct 2012, 04:14 PM
After installing your latest version of Telerik Rad Ajax Controls RadControlsForAspNetAjaxControlPanel_2012_3_1016.exe (and no other upgrades to the other products)...
When I open an existing project that uses Telerik in Visual Studio 2010, it immediately gives the error that Visual Studio has stopped working and kicks me out.

However, if I open Visual Studio without an existing project, it opens fine.

This occurred right after installing your project and having done nothing else and happens to all 4 of my projects that use Telerik.

Ack!

Please help. How do I back out and get the previous version?

thanks.

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 05:04 PM
I also tried using the Telerik tools to create a new Telerik project. It also kills Visual Studio.
I can no longer work on my projects at all! Too bad I have deadlines that aren't going to be met.

Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 05:04 PM
And yes, I have shut down and restarted.
Lynn
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Oct 2012, 03:22 PM
I am having the same problem.  I installed most (most but not the testing and other miscellaneous products) of the 2012/3 yesterday (10/19/2012) and am encountering the exact same problems consistently.

Loading Visual Studio 2012 Premium (Windows 8 64-bit) works just fine.  It comes up and allows me to select projects, web sites, etc.

As soon as I select a website or solution to load, the website or solution will actually load but then Visual Studio 2012 immediately goes into distress and displays the "Visual Studio has stopped working..." dialog box.

I un-installed every one of your products and Visual Studio 2012 started working normally, loading and running projects, websites, solutions, etc. without fail.

I then re-installed just the ASP.NET AJAX product (which installs the product and the demos) and the problems with Visual Studio 2012 started all over again.

I de-installed the two items (ASP.NET AJAX product and the demos) and VS started running normal without errors.

There is very obviously an issue with your installation procedures/codes/etc.

You folks have such great products.  Why is it that your installation procedures and project upgrade procedures always have so many problems?

We need help out here.  We are trying to make a living using your products and you have just shot us in the foot.....again.

Lynn
Victor Alameda
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Oct 2012, 09:28 PM
Hello,

I upgraded to the new version and I have no problems with the installation, however in the toolbox are not registered controls Q3 version instead were recorded version controls Q2, is very important to solve this problem whenever there is a release there are problems with the installation.

Please resolve this as soon as possible because otherwise a lot of developers will begin to see other solutions, our applications are in production and we can not wait that long.

Victor
Biliana Ficheva
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2012, 06:44 AM
Hi,

Thank you for writing and sorry for the inconvenience.

The problem with the crashing Visual Studio is caused when there are multiple Telerik Visual Studio extensions with different versions installed on a machine. On the following forum thread you could find a solution: http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/vs-extensions/telerik-visual-studio-extensions-common-crash.aspx.

We are working to solve this problem on our side so that no crashes happen in our future releases.

As for the problem with the toolbox - Victor, could you please try to reset it (right click in the toolbox and select the Reset option). If this does not help could you please open a Support Ticket so that we could investigate what is wrong on your side?

Kind regards,
Biliana Ficheva
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Moon
Top achievements
Rank 2
Lynn
Top achievements