This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Error creating control

8 Answers 567 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Matthew Bishop
Top achievements
Rank 1
Matthew Bishop asked on 24 Dec 2008, 04:18 AM
Im reposting this here because someone moved my query to radmenu because i used it as an example. Ill paste my comments below...

Post 1.

After updating to the latest version of rad controls,  Visual Studio is not showing me the control formed correctly.
For example

<telerik:RadMenu ID="RadMenu3" Runat="server"></telerik:RadMenu

works fine, but

<telerik:RadMenu ID="RadMenu3" Runat="server" Skin="Forest"><CollapseAnimation Type="OutQuint" Duration="200"></CollapseAnimation></telerik:RadMenu>

doesnt .

...and while you at it, can u put the colour controls in here, there is nothing more annoying then having to format text after copying and pasting.

Post 2.

ok, now the error for the ajax manager comes up as:
Error creating control - Rad Ajax Manager1

'AjaxSettings' could not be initialized. Detailes:[a]Telerik.Web.Ui.RadAjaxManager cannot be cast to[B]Telerik.Web.Ui.RadAjaxManager. Type A originates from 'Telerik.Web.Ui, Version=2008.3.1125.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' in the context 'LoadNeither' at location 'C:\Documents and settingsMatthew\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ProjectAssemblies\y5-i03sn01\telerik.web.ui.dll'. Type B originates from 'Telerik.Web.Ui, Version=2008.3.1125.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' in the context 'LoadNeither' at location 'C:\Documents and settingsMatthew\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ProjectAssemblies\z0ovsobn01\telerik.web.ui.dll'.

I have deleted the contents of 'C:\Documents and settingsMatthew\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ProjectAssemblies' in case it was calling an old version, or it was cached or something.

If I drag a new control from th tool bar, then everything is fine until I try and change a setting

I really need some help on this as I have been able to do no work since installing the new controls

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Paul
Telerik team
answered on 26 Dec 2008, 08:41 AM
Hello Matthew,

We tried to reproduce both issues on our side, but to no avail. Have you tried the SP1 of VS2008 and .Net 3.5? There are numerous fixes there including some which might be related to these problems. We highly recommend upgrading in order to get some other problems with third-party controls fixed as well.

All the best,
Paul
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Matthew Bishop
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Dec 2008, 12:58 AM
Paul,
I am using .net 3.5 with visual studio sp1.

I ended up fixing the error, and it seemed to be the control as well as visual studio... here is what I did.
1) Removed the Visual Studio assembly cache.
2) Re-installed telerik controls.

After re-installing the controls, visual studio would now crash. I noticed this was when the toolbar was populated, so...

3) Created a new blank project (so visual studio would not try to access the telerik controls)
4) Remove the telerik controls from the toolbar.
5) Opened my normal project (This now worked fine with no telerik controls in the toolbar).
6) Re-added the controls to the toolbar automatically, this didnt help so I removed them again.
7) Switched back to my blank solution and added them manually, this seemed to work.
8) Loaded my normal project and everything worked fine.

Now I have no idea where the fault lies, but I did see a blogg post on the telerik site telling me to do step one (which I had already done). On the blogg they said it was a visual studio bug, but none of my other controls had this problem.

It may however be worth adding the additional steps I had to take to the blogg in case other users get the same problem I did.
Long
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Jan 2009, 06:32 PM
Happy new year :-)
That happened to me as well.
To those who have not found the solution:

I was able to solve the problem by doing the following:
1. remove the toolbox tag for Telerik controls in VS.
2. remove the Reference of Telerik from the Project in VS.
3. Exit VS with save changes option.
4. Use  "Register RadControls for ASPNET AJAX Q3 2008 items in the Visual Studio toolbox" provided by Telerik  to register Telerik's control again.
5. Load the project in VS.
6. Open the toolbox for Telerik controls and find out the path of the Telerik.Web.UI.dll ( default is :C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASPNET AJAX Q3 2008\Bin35 )
7. Add the Telerik reference again to the project using the path ( default is : C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASPNET AJAX Q3 2008\Bin35 )

I think I can ignore step 1 to 5. I listed them as that's what I did to fix the problem.

Good Luck,
Long
Marc Lee
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Feb 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm having the same issue here and it's been driving me nuts.  This (Long's fix) is the 5th or 6th different fix I've tried.  Usually they work until I leave my computer at night and come back the next day.  I had to do two additional steps to Long's instructions.  After re-adding the reference for Telerik, I rebuilt the project and closed and re-opened any pages that were still showing errors.  I really hope this works because I'm completely frustrated with the Telerik controls at this point.

Marc
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 05 Feb 2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Marc,

As discussed previously in this forum thread, this design-time issue is both RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX  and Visual Studio related -  I am sorry to hear that you are having difficult time addressing the glitch. Please follow the instructions from the following blog post as they should help you eliminate the issue at hand.

Kind regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Robert Gray
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Feb 2009, 04:44 AM
Not sure if this will work.  Supposedly will fix XP/2003 but apparently not Vista/2008.  I have Vista so I haven't tried it. 

Workaround discussion:
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/Workaround.aspx?FeedbackID=361826

KB article with fix download:
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB961864/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2194

Good luck...
sumanth
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 15 Apr 2009, 10:11 AM
Hi

I Think i am found a solution(not permanently)

If U got ERROR CREATING CONTROL MSG

JUST Delete the RAD AJAX MANAGER , RAD SCRIPT MANAGER
AND
JUST ADD the RAD AJAX  MANAGER from the tool box and RAD SCRIPT MANAGER(by Right Click on the AJAX MANAGER)

JUST Right click on the page and Select 'REFRESH'

DONE

Thanks and Regards
Sumanth

Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Jul 2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks sumanth!!! That solved my problem..
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Matthew Bishop
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Paul
Telerik team
Matthew Bishop
Top achievements
Rank 1