This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

'Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2016.3.1027.45. Invalid pointer exception in LC file

9 Answers 4449 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Tarang
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tarang asked on 21 Feb 2017, 04:00 PM

Hi, recently our company has updated development laptops with windows 10. After Installing Visual Studio 2015 and telerik controls I receive below error:

Error  'Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2016.3.1027.45, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies. Invalid pointer (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004003 (E_POINTER))'

However everything is working fine on old developer machine.

IDE: Visual Studio 2015 Update 3

Telerik: 2016.3.1027.45

P.S - We do not have installed any previous version of Visual studio on new laptop.

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 23 Feb 2017, 12:30 PM
Hello Tarang,

The following section in the documentation explains more common reasons for such a message and how to fix them: 
http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/installation/upgrading-instructions/upgrading-a-trial-to-a-developer-license-or-to-a-newer-version#could-not-load-file-or-assembly-telerikwebui-after-upgrade

Please, review the suggestions in the article above and let me know in case further assistance on the matter will be needed.

Regards,
Momchil
Telerik by Progress
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Tarang
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jun 2017, 07:21 PM

I am afraid to say none of article helps. Also, consistency of this error is not great. Sometime it comes and sometimes it doesn't. Also,

It says that Error is in LC file. Please Look at attached. The error appeared today again and I spent almost 3 hours to get it resolved. Few other information
1. Project is not referencing telerik dlls from GAC. It is referencing from a specific folder on machine.

2. This time it is vs 2017 IDE.

Accepted
Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 19 Jun 2017, 11:59 AM
Hello Tarang,

LC comes from License Compiler or lc.exe which means that this issue is most probably caused by the licenses.licx file. This file is located in the Properties section of your project but sometimes it might not be visible in the Solution Explorer. Please delete this file and rebuild your project. 

Please let us know if this helps.

Regards,
Momchil
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
Mohammad Ibrahim
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 09 May 2023, 10:03 AM

Hi Momchil:

Hope you are doing well.

As per the above Solution I deleted the LC file and Re-build the Project but now they showing the error.

"Could not find file properties\Licenses.licx".

Request your help for proper Solution.

Rumen
Telerik team
commented on 09 May 2023, 12:29 PM

Usually, VS recreates the Licenses.licx file, when you build the application, but sometimes when this does not happen, you can create it manually with empty content:

• Go to the Properties folder and create and empty txt file named Licenses.txt.
  • After that rename the file to Licenses.licx

You can find more information at:

Tom
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jan 2018, 06:56 PM

Try this, it worked for me. Right-click the .dll file and click the 'Unblock' button on the General tab near the bottom. The button goes away after it is unblocked (in case you don't see it). Found the solution here: http://www.chilkatforum.com/questions/8260/could-not-load-assembly-operation-not-supported-exception-from-hresult-0x80131515
Hope it helps.

Tom
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jan 2018, 10:59 PM
Correction to instructions: Right-click the .dll file, select properties, and then click the 'Unblock' button on the General
tab near the bottom
Tarang
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Mar 2018, 03:02 PM
Sorry for replying so late. I thought I did reply earlier but clearly it is not the case. Yes, deleting  licx file solves the problem. Thank You.
Graham
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Aug 2019, 10:14 AM

This solved my problem could not load assembly telerik.web.ui.dll operation is not supported  error

- thank you Tom

Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 13 Aug 2019, 11:03 AM
Just for the record to add that the assembly "Unblock"-ing trick is available at the end of https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/installation/upgrading-instructions/upgrading-a-trial-to-a-developer-license-or-to-a-newer-version#could-not-load-file-or-assembly-telerikwebui-after-upgrade

Have a nice day,
Rumen
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Shubhra
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Oct 2019, 08:18 AM

Thanks Tom, This solution worked for me as well.

Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Tarang
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Momchil
Telerik team
Tarang
Top achievements
Rank 1