Create a Scheduling Server
The scheduling server keeps track of what tests to run and sends this data to the execution servers.
You can also review our Telerik TV episode on Creating a Scheduling Server for a video walk-through of this process.
Before proceeding, there are a few things to confirm regarding the computer you will be using as the Scheduling Server:
- The software must be run from a Windows Administrator account.
- User Account Control (UAC: Windows Vista and 7 only) must be turned off completely (set to Never notify).
If you do not meet the above requirements, the software will not launch or will quit immediately. Confirm the above items and run the Scheduling server software:
- Click Start > All Programs > Telerik > Test Execution 20XX.X > Configure as Scheduling Server.
Note: If you start the Scheduling Server Software with the Execution client already open, you receive the following error:
If you receive this message, close the Execution client by right clicking it in the system tray (the purple square icon) and selecting Exit. If you still receive the error, you may need to completely close Test Studio (Standalone version) and/or Visual Studio (VS plugin).
- You will see the following screen:
- If this is a local only test run (within your intranet), check the box for Integrated Security.
- Set Server to the SQL Server name. SQL Express is used in this example and the database to be created on the server is named Telerik_Scheduling.
Note: If you are not using Integrated Security, enter your Username and Password for the SQL server.
- Click Create Database. You should see a message that states The database is created. Click OK.
- The Import and Export buttons are typically used when upgrading from a previous version of Test Studio. If your previous installation didn't use the default installation folder, manually import the previous configuration in order to continue using it.
- The next page contains the settings for Service URL, email server, and machine registration:
Note: For the Service URL, use the Fully Qualified Domain Name and not http://localhost.
- Click Register the Local Machine.
- Edit the results data output folder if desired. This is where a captured image and DOM Tree on failure are stored. (If there is no failure during execution, no data will be added to this folder.)
- Edit the test execution folder if desired. This should not match the Project Source Location set when you Connect a Project to the Scheduling Server.
- Click the Register button.
- You should see a message that states The machine has been registered successfully. Click OK.
- Click Configure Email (SMTP) Server. Fill in the SMTP Server Settings to allow Test Studio to send emails that contain the results of your test runs.
- Click Save and then OK.
- Click Done. This machine is now registered as the Scheduling Server.
- This machine is also automatically registered as an Execution Server. Because of this, the Telerik Test Studio Execution Server application opens. If you do not intend to use this machine as an Execution Server, you can close this application by right-clicking on the icon in the system tray and clicking Close. Proceed to the next section to register one or more different machines as Execution Servers.
- If you intend to use this machine as the Scheduling Server and an Execution Server, do not close this application. It is required to be open for your tests to execute. Click the X in the upper right of the window to minimize it to the system tray.
Version 2012.1.528 & older
R1 2012 SP2 & newer